Can't Get Remote Access to Work - New Install

Reaction score
I moved and just spent this last weekend finally re-setting up my camera system. Fresh install of BI. Works great on the LAN.

Today - I tried to test the remote and it won't work.

I've tried turning the firewall completely off (after trying to add inbound/outbound allowances on port 81).
Added port forwarding on port 81 to the Modem and forwarded it to the server. No matter what I do, I can't seem to get the remote access to work.
I've even attempted to change the port to 8282 just to make sure there wasn't a port conflict. There wasn't.

I've tried accessing with the iPhone app on cellular - and from my work PC which won't even resolve. "This site can't be reached". I can ping the IP address from my work PC just fine - but can't get the login UI to the web server to resolve.

Would love some help - in the meantime, time to put that firewall back on.

EDIT:

I will add - the first time that I did the Remove Access Test I got green lights to the end. Now I am trying to do the Remote Access Test and I am getting a Red X when performing the final test. Also, it is having difficulty when I click 'Refresh' on the remote WAN IP adress - It says "Trouble Retrieving IP Address".

Last edited:
Reaction score
SOLVED: Xfinity identified that they needed to push some 'updates' to my modem so they did that, and after a few modem cycles - it appears everything is online.
For those that may run across this problem - my guess is, Xfinity's new modem which revolves around their newer xFi system - doesn't always play as friendly as the older modems where you could control everything. Xfi ties into their cloud-based management system and it doesn't seem like updates push right away.
You may have to contact xFinity and have them push your updates to your modem when doing things like port forwarding... WHAT A PAIN IN THE ASS.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to IPCT! :)

Glad to hear you got your problem resolved but even with BI most on this forum will advise against port forwarding but instead advise to use a VPN .