Can't log in

imnozi

n3wb
Aug 13, 2020
US
[Allergies are really bad; don't see a site support forum....]

<<Hmmm. How did he post this if he can't log in?>>

Anyone have any ideas why my Debian Bookworm desktop complains "cookies are required ..." when I try to log in here using either FF or Chromomium? I deleted cookies and checked other restrictive stuff to no avail. I even updated to latest fixes. Nope. If FF has pop-up controls, I can't find 'em.

But the Gnome web browser works OK. And it wroks on my Bookworm LT (which doesn't have the latest FF/Chromomium updates).

I think it happens when it tries to open the modal login window. This site is the only one I've had trouble with (at least so far).

Strange, I'm using Q4OS (Bookworm - Debian 12) and I'm able to log in using FF v131.0.2, and just tried Brave v1.70.126 (Chromium v129.0.6668.100) without issue.

Downloaded and installed latest Chromium v129.0.6668.100 (latest version for linux) and I'm able to log into ipcamtalk....

Edit: Try hovering over the Log in text, right-mouse button and select Open in new tab... Does it bring up the Log in page?

Last edited:
Very oddly, that works. And lets me log in.

Going to the login page (https://www.ipcamtalk.net/login) also results in the error. (In FF's debuggerer, it shows up as an error on the debug console.) ... Ah, a bunch of "cookie has been rejected for invalid domain" warnings about the 'SameSite' attribute being wrong.

I'll right-click for the time being.

Could be, what are you using to block? I just downloaded ublock origin for FF and turned on with all annoyances checked on, still able to log on...

Custom. I pull in the Univ. Toulouse URL Filter, select the ads/pron/warez/etc. categories and create a blacklist conf file for dnsmasq (it grew: 1.2M entries now, around 100MiB RAM). Entries look like: "local=/0-0-0proxy.info/". There is only a slight lag in DNS resolution. I also have another blocklist where I've scraped IPs from system logs (sites trying to access web pages that don't exist or closed ports) and completely block access to and from them. Both run on my SmoothwallExpress firewall (currently running on a 1.6GHz Celery mini-comp).

It may be the latter blocklist; I've included a few whole networks (some of MS, DigitalOcean, GoogleCloud, etc.) but've had to whitelist a few IPs. [MS: "We're doing this for your own good"™ while they engage in persistent, invasive probing of your internet-facing systems, and probably sell what they find to buyers everywhere. But I digress.]

I suspect the error message is incorrect. Cookies are not blocked/disabled. If needed to trace the real problem, I can enable logging of the blocked IPs (such packets are currently DROPped). I should be able to use tcpdump to log DNS queries. It's likely something buried in the site's JS code.

Looks like you are really proactive, I'm lazy just using the out of the box standard pfSense/pfBlockerNG list setup.