Can't reach remote host on local WiFi

pburgh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This seems like a basic issue that I should be able to fix, but I'm down a few brain cells for various reasons

I have a remote host that I cannot reach on my local network, but I can connect to the host from LTE as well as from any other network (ex: if I RDP to my office and try from there). If I run an nslookup on my local network, I get the correct information, but I cannot ping the hostname.

I am running an R7000 router with Adv Tomato here. I've rebooted it but that seems to have not made a difference.

I'm stumped! What could the issue be?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Blocked site, ad block, or blocked by keyword list?

Can you access the IP (but not by host name)? Using OpenDNS or some other filtering?

pburgh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I can't ping the IP either. If I run an nslookup I get the correct IP, but neither the hostname nor the IP is ping-able.

I have other hostnames (sub-domains) on the same domain and they load fine. It's literally one digit off from one that works fine. Ex cams1.domain.com vs cams2.domain.com.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, nslookup doesn't try to access the host itself so that should work regardless.

So it's your own domain/host. Wasn't thinking along those lines.

Any blocking done on the remote end? Can you get a new external IP address by renewing your lease or otherwise with your ISP from where you're trying? Might try that quickly to see if access is blocked somehow.

Might try rebooting the router and machine that you're trying from also to just clear things out.

pburgh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There should not be any blocking on the remote end. I will try getting a new IP here and see if that clears it up. Thank you for the suggestions!

This is an odd one. There are 18 other variations of camsNum.domain.com and all but this one work. :)

pburgh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Update - I RDP'ed in to the remote machine and tried to hit the hostname that is associated with my local network (cams1) I'm trying to access the remote network from. It also fails to load.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, I've had similar things happen at times for various reasons. Usually something that I'd forgotten that I'd done that had unintended effects later. lol

I was unable to access one of my own hosts in a similar way once when trying to FTP files over. Turned out that my hosting company's firewall had blocked me for too many attempts too fast or whatever reason. If no joy, might contact them too just to be sure.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
So you can't do the opposite either? i.e., From camsx.domain.com to your IP?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
That makes me think more like a firewall at either end or something at a network level between the two.