CAT6 vs CAT5e

Reaction score
When we remodeled out kitchen and family room a few years ago I ran about 1000 feet of CAT6 to the floor above (bedrooms and home office) the attic space above patio for 3 future cameras, TV area, and two spots to replace the subpar wireless cams from Guardian security.

I'm going to start running more network cable to replace the old analog cameras and I originally was going to run more CAT6 but I have a spool of CAT5e out in the shop (at least 500') and I'm wondering for cameras is there benefit to running CAT6 over CAT5e? A spool of CAT6 isn't going to break the bank although that could be $$ towards another camera, any thoughts...comments?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Unless cameras make a few quantum leaps in resolution, 5e should be fine. Most cameras, today, run at 100Mbps although they could go to gig sometime in the not too distant future. 5e will handle that. There is another consideration, if you someday decide to use one of those cables for a feed for a switch that could also load that cable heavily with data, but again 5e should be fine. Maybe consider pulling a fiber along with the CAT just to future proof ad nauseum.