Century Link modem no VPN support, Replacement? or inbound VPN pass through possible?

ryder12

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a CenturyLink (CL) gateway/modem Technicolor C1100T VDSL2-8A connection. It has no provision for local VPN in bound traffic. I am having a difficult time finding a modem that supports the VLAN tagging 201 which is a requirement to connect to CL VDSL2-8A. I can solve this problem with a CL branded upgrade modem but, I'm tired of their junk. I thought about a pass through VPN (port forward based) but don't think that would actually work. If it will let me know and I'll do some more searching.

Has anyone had success getting an ASUS RT AX5400 or any ASUS router to work on CL VDSL2-8A ? If not recommend me something else? The goal is VPN access of Blueiris remotely.

NoProblems

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a CenturyLink (CL) gateway/modem Technicolor C1100T VDSL2-8A connection. It has no provision for local VPN in bound traffic. I am having a difficult time finding a modem that supports the VLAN tagging 201 which is a requirement to connect to CL VDSL2-8A. I can solve this problem with a CL branded upgrade modem but, I'm tired of their junk. I thought about a pass through VPN (port forward based) but don't think that would actually work. If it will let me know and I'll do some more searching.

Has anyone had success getting an ASUS RT AX5400 or any ASUS router to work on CL VDSL2-8A ? If not recommend me something else? The goal is VPN access of Blueiris remotely.

Setting up a VPN with CenturyLink’s VDSL2-8A and the requirement for VLAN tagging 201 can be tricky, as many consumer-grade modems and routers don't easily support it. However, you can still achieve your goal of remote VPN access to Blue Iris by using a compatible router that supports VLAN tagging and works with CenturyLink’s VDSL2-8A.

While ASUS routers, like the RT AX5400, are quite capable and popular for advanced configurations, including VPN setup, there are mixed reports about compatibility with CenturyLink’s VDSL2-8A, particularly with VLAN 201 tagging. However, you could try setting the ASUS RT AX5400 to "bridge" mode if using a CenturyLink-approved modem for VLAN tagging, then use the ASUS for routing and VPN functionality.

I woud keep i tsimple and just add either tailscale or netbird or netmaker to a device that is on the same netwrok as the blueiris network .

elvisimprsntr

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Option 1: Open source enterprise class firewall software pfSense® - World's Most Trusted Open Source Firewall can set WAN VLAN tagging. Has a bit of a learning curve, but is infinitely more flexible than consumer [redacted]. You will need a separate WiFi AP, or repurpose an existing router as an AP. pfSense runs on any x86_64 based system with at least 2 intel NICs

Screenshot 2024-09-12 at 6.59.25 PM.png

Option 2: Install a single instance of Tailscale MESH VPN on almost any computer (could even be the same computer you run BI on) or NAS on your network, and enable advertise sub-net routes. Then you can access any IP based device behind your ISPs kit via its local IP address. Tailscale has clients for almost every OS distribution on the planet, including pfSense.

Tailscale · Best VPN Service for Secure Networks

Option 3: Both 1 and 2

Last edited:

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If not recommend me something else? The goal is VPN access of Blueiris remotely.
Perhaps check out my new favourite toy.

It does vlan tagging on the WAN port and can easily allow vpn access into your network.