Change default naming scheme when saving clips and snapshots

Lex

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I review my footage constantly throughout the day and do a lot of saving the snapshots and clips that I need. I can then delete the .bvr files that contain a bunch of what I don't need.

Has anyone found a way to change the default name of a file when you take a snapshot or save a clip? Both used to default to the cameraName_date_timeTheBVRFileStarted. I emailed the dev and he did change the snapshots to cameraName_date_timeofsnapshot, but left the clips as they were.

I name my files with just the time of incident like 1205.jpg instead of Cam13.20201010_120514249_1.jpg. I do this for both clips and snapshots. I spend a lot of time renaming the files as I am saving them and would like to come up with a way to change this to default, or at least have a script that will do it for me.

I came up with a powershell script that I have to copy the default name in the save file dialog box, run the script and paste the new value back in the save dialog box. This is still pretty clumsy and only works for the snapshots since they have the time of the incident instead of the time of the start of the .bvr file. If it is a clip. I have to enter the start time of the clip manually still.

$gc = Get-Clipboard
$lg = $gc.Length

if ($lg -eq '29'){
$nv = $gc.Substring(14,4)
Set-Clipboard -Value $nv
}
else
{
$nv = $gc.Substring(15,4)
Set-Clipboard -Value $nv
}

What would be ideal is a way to change the default settings of BI. Anyone know if that is possible or have a better way of handling this?

Thanks

Lex

n3wb
Reaction score
Let BI do it's job. Mark the clips as flagged or protected instead. A simple right click does the job.
Thanks, but that doesn't work for me. I don't want to store GB's of data I don't need and I don't want to have to view all that data again to find just the clips and captures that I need. I live in area that has constant lighting changes and what I am capturing has cars coming by constantly. Stuff like that. Stuff that I can't mask out and still capture what I need to capture.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Flagging and protecting doesn' require the need to "view all that data again".
If you use the filters on the clip list and the calendar, you can narrow it down quickly showing just the flagged or protected clips.

Lex

n3wb
Reaction score
I have my cameras set up to cut the video every hour and I have a 4gb maximum on that. Depending on the weather conditions and traffic, some of my cameras sometimes exceed that 4gb and start a new recording for that hour. I just can't keep files of that size when I can export the data I need that is 98% smaller than the size of the .bvr file.