Change detection zone/trigger point for better car detection at night or if moving really fast

bignose3

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,
Camera has to be at a bit offset an angle for my best mounting position, fixed camera. I use to open an electric gate.
Deepstack to get LPR & avoid sending non car images & Platerecognizer really good at getting plates even at an angle. Free as under easy under 2500 pm.

Works 99% day time, I have it set to get best angle & image frame just as it goes from A>B, approx 20 feet away.
The only time it struggles is when someone drives up really fast close to the gate or at night when it has problem at 20ft.
I primarily need A>B as don't want cars leaving or cars turning round close to my gate.

I was hoping to have a 2nd trigger point (if the first fails) when close to the gate or even static a few feet from the gate

Not sure If I can achieve this easily, without a 2nd cloned camera & different zone, I have some CPU spare but prefer not.

What does in object detection "Not Required for re-triggers" do? it does not seem to help but I assumed would allow re-trigger on movement but not full A>B needed.
This in theory would seem to be the answer to my problems but so far once done A>B single detection does not re-trigger

Platerecogniser only handles 1 a second so not great so somehow wait if 1st not work.

At night I have the camera setup for night which is pretty good but as on a bend as car comes into view the camera quickly adjusts but not fast enough.
The glare means at 20 feet the camera image is too bright, plate is a whiteout.

At 10 feet, either slow moving or static image is pretty good & think would get plate 90%+ of the time.

Ideally I would like BI to still try to detect at 20ft as best angle & a few seconds earlier for faster opening of gate but if not that 2nd detection up close

Can I have access to deepstack 4 (or whatever set to) "real time images" that it uses for analasys.
Just for info. what are these 4 images, are they immediately after BI motion has triggered or independant of BI.

Would I be better off trying OpenAPLR, does this gather lots of plates over those few seconds. I would have to use one of the program options I believe so I can install to save locally.

I think I can improve my python program that currently opens the gate on plates it recognizes & sends message to Telegram either way.
Hopefully get the best plate and work on that, I cannot have the gate receiving lots of "Gate Open" calls as it would stop/start like mad

Sorry ended up being rather long winded question!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you running in color at night and what is your shutter speed? A faster shutter can knock out that headlight bounce off the pavement.

Have you tried HLC to knock the headlight glare out?

You can train a custom model for your field of view (takes a few hours with photos of your field of view examples) that would let DeepStack know that it is a plate and then fire off to plate recognizer to read the plate.

OpenALPR uses the video stream instead of an image and is not integrated with Blue Iris, so you would have to deal with whatever you would need to change for your situation.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My LPR is watching a stop sign. I had troubles with PlateRecognizer due to the image it captured. If they stopped, or slowed, it worked, if not, it generally missed them. I went with OpenALPR for$5/month, and love it. Works great, very few issues. I prefered the simplicity of the video feed over figuring out how to send the right image. For headlight glare, @wittaj is correct. I don't have any issues with that, but my camera is 30+ degrees above AND off to the side of the on coming traffic.