Changing camera recording locations

quest100

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What is the best practice when changing BI’s recording location for some cameras? As far as I can tell I can change the recording location for a camera, move the previously recorded files to the new drive/location and then regenerate the data base.

I had an external (eSATA) drive enclosure die last week. While waiting for the new enclosure I switched all recording to the internal disk. The original external disk is fine and contains older videos for some of the cameras. I’m sure some video was lost as the internal disk had less room and some videos were erased due to space constraints.

The new enclosure allows me to add disks. However I am also optimizing / changing where recordings end up. Thus I am moving some older and some newer camera files from one or two disks to a different disk. I have plenty of free space because of the additional storage and am being careful to leave room on each disk as I move files around. BI complains that some disks are over allocated even though there is lots of free space available. That is fine since I know a DB regeneration will fix that.

Assuming I don’t mess up moving around the camera video files will everything be fine after regenerating the data base? I did a test after moving some files around and everything looked OK. I don’t want to keep regenerating the DB because it took several hours.