Changing/Switching PoE Camera Lenses

Reaction score
Hello!

Really like Amcrest with Blue Iris, worked well for my small setup with wide angles and short distances at my 1200 sqft cape cod.

My inlaws liked the setup soo much, they wanted in on the custom security camera install. One hitch, they're country folk.

Have a pole barn that's 60-70ft away, we're hoping for a identify at that range, so thinking 8-12mm. Bummer is, unless I want $190 varifocal, best I can do is 2.8 or 4.0mm with amcrest.

I see on amazon various sellers selling different lenses, such as:

Anyone know if amcrest/dahua cameras use the " M12*0.5mm mount" described by the amazon seller? Did some extensive searches and didn't really uncover much.

Thanks In advance

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
that's a crap-ass lens. don't aste your money. only 'rated' for 720p. you need one rated for at least close to or more than the resolution of your camera. f2.0 is also is not letting as much light in as a lower f-stop (faster) lens.

to have a chance of ID'ing someone at 70ft, you'll need at least a 25mm lens. see IPVM Camera Calculator V3 shoot for 100ppf or more.

I have swapped many lenses. depends on which model you have and what sort of lens it uses. most 1/3" sensors use the m12, but many vari-focals use an m14 mount, and the ones with larger 1/2 and 1/1.8" sensors may use m16's. then, there are CS-mount lenses, etc. you also have to consider the back-focus length of the lens, to make sure it will work in your cam and provide the most possible light on the sensor without vignetting. 24hr full color cams will need a permanent IR filter on the lens.

Point is, without a specific model cam, one cannot suggest a replacement lens for any specific purpose. and not every unit has room for what is usually a longer lens...

That said, if you have power in the barn, best bet would be to get a network connection out to the barn somehow, via ethernet or wifi bridge or even PLA, then put cam(s) on the barn. ID'ing people at 70ft at night is asking a lot, especially if they're moving... it can be done, but why do it the hard way? :)

Reaction score
that's a crap-ass lens. don't aste your money. only 'rated' for 720p. you need one rated for at least close to or more than the resolution of your camera. f2.0 is also is not letting as much light in as a lower f-stop (faster) lens.

to have a chance of ID'ing someone at 70ft, you'll need at least a 25mm lens. see IPVM Camera Calculator V3 shoot for 100ppf or more.

I have swapped many lenses. depends on which model you have and what sort of lens it uses. most 1/3" sensors use the m12, but many vari-focals use an m14 mount, and the ones with larger 1/2 and 1/1.8" sensors may use m16's. then, there are CS-mount lenses, etc. you also have to consider the back-focus length of the lens, to make sure it will work in your cam and provide the most possible light on the sensor without vignetting. 24hr full color cams will need a permanent IR filter on the lens.

Point is, without a specific model cam, one cannot suggest a replacement lens for any specific purpose. and not every unit has room for what is usually a longer lens...

That said, if you have power in the barn, best bet would be to get a network connection out to the barn somehow, via ethernet or wifi bridge or even PLA, then put cam(s) on the barn. ID'ing people at 70ft at night is asking a lot, especially if they're moving... it can be done, but why do it the hard way? :)
Amcrest UltraHD 4K (8MP) Outdoor Bullet POE

I totally agree. Its seeming pretty impossible at those ranges to do much at night. What I've turned to is getting a tighter focus to do something more useful, knowing when there's a bad guy at this door. Triggering BI's motion sensor in a couple regions will do everything my inlaws would need at night, and might get me a chance of ID'ing if things happen during the day.

Any idea those amcrest models sensor? I've tried trolling for technical readouts and I'm not seeing much.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
that amcrest lists IMX274 sensor:

not great. if you really need 8MP, stick with a bigger 1/1.8" sensor, or you'll have crap at night.
plus that amcrest uses a 2.8mm lens, so while it would be OK for a daytime overview, it's not gonna be ideal for anything else...
while you might be able to put a 4mm or 6mm (probably no longer) in there, is it worth the extra hassle/cost for a so-so cam?
i'd only mess with it if i got I had one lying around or could get it cheap...

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm thinking by the time you dismantle an Amcrest and spend money on lenses and the frustration. It mighta been easier to talk them into a 2mp PTZ or a varifocal and get the clarity you're looking for. I know, it's $190 bucks! i have a $200 PTZ, knock off from "jidetech" on Amazon, I think it's a Hikvision rebrand. it has a very nice lens. I have a security issue in the back corner of my lot at the Condo I manage, where Dopers and Potheads like to park and do drugs try car doors etc...This cam will see the plates at 300 feet zoomed up, but peoples faces when that zoomed up move so fast across the screen. also angle of the person to the glare from the lighting make capturing faces just dumb luck.
I did do a remote camera at this address to the remote garage building with a Wifi bridge, but that was $120. and It was with Amcrest 4Mp AHD's 2.8mm ( before I knew better) So more money..... and now more money.....
but if you have more time than money.....i suppose experimenting could be beneficial to come to some kind of determination.

Reaction score
Thank you both.

The Amcrest I got has a 4mm, so its not their 2.8. Ya know, another $100 doesnt sound bad. Ill talk to them about options and see if they want to plunge.

Thank You both!

Oh, and more money than time (two small kids and a new house)