Cheap 960P camera - problem

Darrener69

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a cheap HQCAM 960p IP Camera
I can view live pictures by logging into it in Internet Explorer. It also works in the free CMS software.
With Onvif Device Manager I get a snapshot preview when clicking on refresh, but "No Signal" when clicking on Live Video or Video Streaming.
I've also been trying the software Perfect IP Camera Viewer. I can't get that to recognise the camera.

Am I wasting my time trying to get this to work in anything other than IE and CMS?
I need a small outdoor camera and physically this camera was ideal.
Maybe I should think about BlueIris and a (wired, not wifi) IP camera that works?

Any advice? Thanks.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a cheap HQCAM 960p IP Camera
I can view live pictures by logging into it in Internet Explorer. It also works in the free CMS software.
With Onvif Device Manager I get a snapshot preview when clicking on refresh, but "No Signal" when clicking on Live Video or Video Streaming.
I've also been trying the software Perfect IP Camera Viewer. I can't get that to recognise the camera.

Am I wasting my time trying to get this to work in anything other than IE and CMS?
I need a small outdoor camera and physically this camera was ideal.
Maybe I should think about BlueIris and a (wired, not wifi) IP camera that works?

Any advice? Thanks.
I don't see any mention of this device being ONVIF compliant nor offering RTSP. If both are true (ONVIF / RTSP) you'll probably have to accept viewing using their app / IE. I know everyone is always trying to find that diamond in the rough but at some point you just have to pay more! :thumb:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FWIW, I found the following RTSP URL below, here ==>> HQCAM wifi Waterproof 720P 960P 1080P BUS Camera mini ip camera Indoor Outdoor CAR IP CAMERA IR Cut Night Vision IP Camera xmeye

RTSP URL for VLC media Player :

Code:
rtsp:/(IP):554/user=(USER)&password=(PWD)&channel=(Channel)&stream=(Stream).sdp?real_stream
Example : rtsp:/10.6.10.25:554/user=admin&password=&channel=1&stream=0.sdp?real_stream
NOTE: use 2 slashes after rstp and colon, the forum software won't allow 2 in a row.

I'd try it with VLC; if you can get it to work there, it should work with BI.

I have one of XMeye's "TOP-201" cams, a little 720p cams working BI and the URL is similar.
BTW, insure that cam has no Internet access. ==>> Millions Of Xiongmai Video Surveillance Devices Can Be Hacked Via Cloud Feature (Xmeye P2p Cloud)

Darrener69

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't see any mention of this device being ONVIF compliant nor offering RTSP. If both are true (ONVIF / RTSP) you'll probably have to accept viewing using their app / IE. I know everyone is always trying to find that diamond in the rough but at some point you just have to pay more! :thumb:
Thanks. Yes, (and as TonyR suggested - if neither are true) I suppose it's the old saying - you get what you pay for. It's not the only camera I'm planning to install but I wanted this one a bit more discreet than the normal dome cameras (of which I have 3 that work well)

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks. Yes, (and as TonyR suggested - if neither are true) I suppose it's the old saying - you get what you pay for. It's not the only camera I'm planning to install but I wanted this one a bit more discreet than the normal dome cameras (of which I have 3 that work well)
Should have proof read before hitting that send button . . . :banghead: :idk:

Darrener69

n3wb
Reaction score
That's wifi which I don't want/need but it looks to have 12v and rj45 connectors as well. It does mention Onvif 2.0 and further down the page -
ONVIF 2.0 Port 8899 ;RTSP Port 554 ;HTTP Port 80;Media Port 34567

RTSP URL for VLC media Player :

Code:
rtsp:/(IP):554/user=(USER)&password=(PWD)&channel=(Channel)&stream=(Stream).sdp?real_stream[/INDENT]
[INDENT]Example : rtsp:/10.6.10.25:554/user=admin&password=&channel=1&stream=0.sdp?real_stream
NOTE: use 2 slashes after rstp and colon, the forum software won't allow 2 in a row.
Thanks for those 2 comments.

I'd try it with VLC; if you can get it to work there, it should work with BI.
I've never tried VLC. Just playing with that now on a camera that works in CMS. Confused when I get to "Destination Setup". I get a "picture" but it looks like just the pixels that have changed since a previous image, not a stream. Guess I ought to read some help files.

Note - I'm using VLC 2.2.6. If I use 3.0.11 on my other PC I can't get it to play H.264 files even if selected in the demuxers.

I have one of XMeye's "TOP-201" cams, a little 720p cams working BI and the URL is similar.
BTW, insure that cam has no Internet access. ==>> Millions Of Xiongmai Video Surveillance Devices Can Be Hacked Via Cloud Feature (Xmeye P2p Cloud)
The cameras I have are on my network with 172.xxx.xxx.xxx addresses and I also changed the passwords.
The are connected to a gigabit switch, then PC/router/modem but the router has NAT. I presume that is enough?
I really ought to study network security more

Darrener69

n3wb
Reaction score
I've now got my camera working in Perfect IP Camera Viewer and also CMS, but ODM (Onvif Device Manager) won't show a live stream.
I can live with that. So investigating BlueIris is on hold for now.

I suppose my problem is that I have a mixture of makes and models of camera (bought over a few years) each of which seem to require different ways of setting up.
If I was starting again I would try to opt for cameras which are easier to set up.