Choosing IP cam for already existing HW

Revan03

n3wb
Reaction score
I would like to ask for advice / opinion. Considering update of my current solution.

My current setup:

PC with W10 (64 bit)
Older core I7-3770
16GB ram
Blue Iris 4.8.6.3 x64

2 IP cameras UNIPC-2204FWD-IS - bought 5 Years ago somewhere in amazon

1684602662981.png

It is working actually 5 Years without single issue, but I would like to improve few things:
  • Improve video quality, want to have more clear picture with more details
  • Improve FPS - in camera setting is 20FPS, but it is not reality I getting
  • Improve visibility in night, I see, that someone is there, but no details, nightvision is tragic
  • Possibly use this camera for lighting house entrance after movement detection (optional, not priority)
  • Possibly I will add third camera, not expecting more, it is not necessary

My thinking:
  • I would like to keep current PC (is is exclusively for IP cams) and CPU have in current setup huge reserve
  • Seems to me, I need to update BI to latest version to have new features and new cameras support
  • Want to keep powering via POE, no wifi, no extra cables
  • I want to have again dome cameras
  • I do not require any face detections, pet detections, just best quality movie

My current thinking is to buy two of this cameras:

I would like to open discussion / know your experiences. Especially about compatibility with BI, real life experiences. Would you recommend this camera, or I can choose something better, which gives me performance reserve to future.

Thx,
R.

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Does your PC run 24/7?
Depending on your price of electricity, you may want to investigate the true price of a used hardware upgrade, once you consider the price for energy.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
i'm sure it will work, as I have that processor in a PC that ran 12 cameras at one point before I switched to i5-8500 PC
but maybe not as power efficient as newer stuff?

Revan03

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

yes it runs 24/7. Pc is based on HP 6300, Small case with small power source. Believe 300W, lazy to check it. Was in the past very popular company case, was quite cheap to buy that time, believe around 160 EURO. Sure, without upgrade to W10 and buy SSD and second HDD. It is also very quite.

Below is how CPU is used.

Electricity cost is no issue, have photovoltaics panels, for 3/4 of Year no issue and for winter is enough in virtual battery. I would like to focus on cameras.

1684614620882.png

1684614031153.png

Attachments

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Avoid using domes outdoors, the pictures you posted shows you why.
Too easy to get light reflections in the dome and affects the video quality.
The domes degrade over time and matters get worse,

Stick to turret or bullet cams for outdoors.
This is the best all around camera at this point in time.
Review-OEM Loryta IPC-T5442T-ZE Varifocal 4mp camera (Dahua) | IP Cam Talk

Or here is the fixed lens version. It comes in 2.8mm, 3.6.mm and 6mm.
Review-OEM 4mp IPC-T5442TM-AS 2.8mm Starlight+ | IP Cam Talk

Revan03

n3wb
Reaction score
Avoid using domes outdoors, the pictures you posted shows you why.
Too easy to get light reflections in the dome and affects the video quality.
The domes degrade over time and matters get worse,

Stick to turret or bullet cams for outdoors.
This is the best all around camera at this point in time.
Review-OEM Loryta IPC-T5442T-ZE Varifocal 4mp camera (Dahua) | IP Cam Talk

Or here is the fixed lens version. It comes in 2.8mm, 3.6.mm and 6mm.
Review-OEM 4mp IPC-T5442TM-AS 2.8mm Starlight+ | IP Cam Talk

Hi,

thx for advice with this turret, looks good, but seems to me, it is 4MP, is there some benefit, comparing to one I posted (8MP)

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Reaction score
The reason looney stated that the cam he linked to (5442) will do better at night than the 8MP cam you liked is due to the number of pixels and the sensor size.

Both these cams have the same sensor size, 1/1.8". But the 5442 is 4MP versus your linked cam is 8MP. So the 8MP cam has twice as many pixels so each pixel will get half the light as those on the 5442. So the 5442 cam will perform better at night due to each pixel getting roughly twice the light.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In addition, the 8MP is a dome, which you see from your existing cams that it attracts dust and water spots. Avoid domes outside.

Here is a real world example with a deer. Even with a floodlight, there simply wasn't enough light to make the 4MP on the sensor designed for 2MP to go into color. This would be a similar example of 8MP on a sensor designed for 4MP.

1673449859378.png

And a 4MP on the proper 1/1.8" sensor camera (different deer LOL) that the camera was able to go to color based on the larger sensor:

1673449943897.png

Which do you think is the better image? The same thing applies whether it is a 4MP versus 8MP on the sensor sized for a smaller MP camera.

Revan03

n3wb
Reaction score
Before I posted picture from night, this is what I getting currently during day. Cars are in 9 - 10 meters (29,5 - 32,8 ft) distance from camera. In case, that current camera will work better with sun and not have tragic visibility in night and not sunny day, I do not consider it completely bad.

One thing I do not understand in this cameras. Why FPS moving so much. In camera is set 20 FPS, but sometimes FPS dropping very low and if I download record as a movie, movement seems to me stucking and fuzzy.

1684689267224.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Make sure you aren't using a dmart codec like AI codec as that will drop FPS.

Revan03

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello Guys,

in final bought IPC-T5442T-ZE Varifocal. I have to say, at night I getting really much better and clear picture. Thank you for advice. During the day, I almost do not see difference, comparing to noname WGCC UNIPC-2204FWD-IS. Actually, seems to me little-bit worse. Compare yourself, with previous picture.
1685342218980.png

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Care to point to some specific detail?
Max out your bandwidth if you want more detail.
You realize this is morning vs evening?

Revan03

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

thank you one more time. I did not know, that bandwidth increase details, I thought that will just influence FPS. Now is everything fine. I increased bandwidth from 2048 to 4096 and I am satisfied.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

thank you one more time. I did not know, that bandwidth increase details, I thought that will just influence FPS. Now is everything fine. I increased bandwidth from 2048 to 4096 and I am satisfied.
Try this:
15FPS
Constant Bit Rate
H264H
8192 bit rate.

Revan03

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I would like to refresh this thread. Thank you for good advice in the past. That time. I bought IPC-T5442T-ZE 4MP from ipcam talk store and I am fully ok with that. Camera is really good.

Now, I want to buy two new turret cameras for adding to my BI server. I updated little bit my BI server and now, I have also huge HW reserve in server side, so using AI is no problem.

I have very similar requirements as before. Outdoor turret camera, used for monitoring my garden and partly street. Want good compromise day/night performance.

I would like to ask you for recommendation, what is currently good choice to buy.

Thank you.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The 5442 series is still the go to camera, and the latest version S3 is even better.