Choosing the right Security camera Please help me

moonloop

n3wb
Reaction score
Hallo all,
I am very frustrated as in the last few weeks i tried some cameras and non of them has the features I am looking for....
I would be very happy to get a recommendation from some professionals for a security camera.
First it has to be able to connect to my Synology NAS and work with the Surveillance Station.

The camera itself should :
1. Work with Wireless and LAN.
2. At least 2MP preferably 4MP
3. At least 100 degree view (it should be in the corner of the room, mounted to the ceiling corner and be able to record all the room).
4. Motion sensor
5. Night view.
6. Integrated microphone for recording the video with audio.

The camera should record around 10 hours a day straight and than for the rest of the day work only when triggered by a motion sensor.

Any input would be very welcome. I can't find something that has all those features and getting completely crazy....

Thank you all in advanced !!!

Reaction score
Guten tag, moonloop! :welcome:

Quick response to your points:
1. Avoid wireless if possible. Wired LAN is strongly recommended.
2. 2 megapixel Dahua Starlight 4231 turret is recommended.
3. A very wide spread on the room is good for monitoring activity, but not so much for clear identification. You may want to consider two smaller table-top cameras in addition to the Dahua turret.
4. Motion sensor - Pretty much every camera has this capability.
5. Night vision - Pretty much every camera has this capability.
6. The $150 USD Dahua Starlight 4231 turret has a microphone, as does the $110 USD Hikvision cube camera.

Regarding day vs night recording, both Dahua and Hikvision offer detailed options/settings, and both should be compatible with your Synology NAS via ONVIF/RTSP streaming of video/audio.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
I second the Hikvision 2432. it does have wifi, tho wired is always more reliable. built-in mic (and speaker )for audio. available with 2.8mm & 4mm lenses.
keep in mind that a height looking down, you've got a slightly greater effective field of view.
Here's a 4mm lens on this one in the corner of a 2-car a garage (2.8mm would be wider yet, but add barrel distortion, especially on the sides...)
Garage 2019-3-4 08.00.54.334 AM.jpg