Christmas Eve Accident

lulu5kamz

Known around here
Reaction score
A garbage truck ran into power lines and caused a local power outage that lasted about 4 hours on Christmas Eve. The accident was reported at 3:02 PM local time. The video recording starts about 8 minutes later when we noticed a commotion down in the street below our house. Our security cameras were running on battery backup for the recordings. It appears the back of the garbage truck is in the raised up position and there appears to be tree branches in the middle of the street. I have no idea what happened to cause the accident. It was raining at the tine of the accident. The camera used for the recording was a Huisun Mini Bullet PTZ.

OldStyle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's some good quality. Too bad you missed the actual accident.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Man 'o man that Huisun video is superb lulu5kamz...and you've mounted it in a teriffic location! I live next to an intersection that gets a little wild at times; I've always wanted to mount a decent camera (thinking Huisun Mini PTZ v2) and put an eye on that intersection. Then sell the video to attorneys when the inevitable happens. :eek:h:

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What type of battery backup is required to run and nvr and cameras? How long would it continue to run before power runs out on backup?

lulu5kamz

Known around here
Reaction score
What type of battery backup is required to run and nvr and cameras? How long would it continue to run before power runs out on backup?
My Blue Iris computer is connected to an uninterruptible power supply (UPS). The cameras are connected to POE switches which are also connected to a UPS. The runtime of your devices will be determined by the battery capacity and the load by watts of your equipment. My advice would be to get an UPS with the largest battery capacity you can afford. I've had good luck with the CyberPower brand. Replacement batteries are easy to find, and you can replace them yourself. I currently own 7 of them with varying capacities depending on what's connected to them.

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
As post after yours alludes to, there is no good answer.

I have a PC used for storage on a UPS and I guess it would go for 5-10 minutes. It's mainly just to let it gracefully boot down if power is out and also handle the occasional cut off we get that last a second or two.

My cameras are on a POE switch with its own UPS also and a router with external hard drive also runs off this and could take back up images for a while longer, maybe 30-60 minutes I've not tested or run the numbers.

A meaningful number of thieves do cut power so it's worth considering a way to deal with it.

lulu5kamz

Known around here
Reaction score
I just wanted to follow up this forum post with an update picture of the intersection taken today with my dashcam. I was really surprised to see how low those cables are to the street. That power pole has several wires attached at different levels. I can see what happened. If you look closely, the lowest set of wires actually run through a tree in front of a house. The garbage truck hit the lowest set of wires which knocked down branches from the tree which ended up in the intersection. It is still not clear to me why the garbage truck would have raised up the back of the truck while it was underneath those lower set of wires.