Close up visitor

Reaction score
@mikeynags, would you be so generous as to share your settings to obtain such crystal-clear nighttime video? Your deer in motion has only the slightest fuzz around its body. I've asked a couple others to share but so far no takers. That's not to say there haven't been some suggestions, but I've tried everything and my nighttime motion is still bad. I suspect most of it's in the exposure tab, but I could be overlooking other settings.
Thanks.

Edit: once for clarity.

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
@Steve.L Keep in mind that video has a big advantage. The snow on the ground not only provides a light background for good contrast, but it also reflects a lot of light making it easier to get good night, color, video. I have two 5442-ZEs that I switch to full time color when there's snow on the ground. They capture cars at up to 50MPH with little blur. No way that will work without the snow, I know, I've tried.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
@Steve.L Keep in mind that video has a big advantage. The snow on the ground not only provides a light background for good contrast, but it also reflects a lot of light making it easier to get good night, color, video. I have two 5442-ZEs that I switch to full time color when there's snow on the ground. They capture cars at up to 50MPH with little blur. No way that will work without the snow, I know, I've tried.
Good points @sebastiantombs - I do have overhead spot lights there so, although the snow helps (a lot) the video is still not bad when it is just grass.

Here are some settings - let me know if this helps

1643645563117.png

1643645539601.png

1643645599240.png

Reaction score
That's an interesting point. By the way, I do have some pretty strong floods over the driveway, but definitely not snow :)

Good points @sebastiantombs - I do have overhead spot lights there so, although the snow helps (a lot) the video is still not bad when it is just grass.

Here are some settings - let me know if this helps
Thanks a ton. Interesting on the "Shutter Priority" and associated settings, that will be something interesting I've got to try. One issue I had in using a batch of night settings provided to me by another popular user here was, come sunrise, the whole scene in both cams was washed out in white. I found that by increasing shutter drastically brought it back in, but then come night, it was blacked out. This got me wondering if I should attempt to set up "profiles" in the Dahua cam config (then select "Day/Night") and try different settings for day and night, but it looks like you're forcing "Day" and perhaps accomplishing both.

I will try these out tonight and see what pans out. Thanks again!