Cloud Service

JamminGVT

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all! This is my first post so be easy on me, ha! I work for a company with roughly 15 sites that have cameras. All of them are Dahua and plugged into an NVR at each site. We currently use SmartPSS and DMSS to view the cameras on computers and cell phones via P2P connection. My boss is wanting me to find a way to log into a web browser and view the cameras that way. I know we could do so by typing an individual camera's IP into the address bar, but I'm pretty sure we have to be on the same network in order for that to work. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get to this end goal my boss is requesting?

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi all! This is my first post so be easy on me, ha! I work for a company with roughly 15 sites that have cameras. All of them are Dahua and plugged into an NVR at each site. We currently use SmartPSS and DMSS to view the cameras on computers and cell phones via P2P connection. My boss is wanting me to find a way to log into a web browser and view the cameras that way. I know we could do so by typing an individual camera's IP into the address bar, but I'm pretty sure we have to be on the same network in order for that to work. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get to this end goal my boss is requesting?
As @bigredfish noted a VPN would be the most secure method to access the video security system.

Given your company has already decided to forego anything related to privacy & security.

Why doesn’t he just get a big tablet and view the cameras via Dahua’s P2P service?!? He can stream ( mirror ) the feed to a Smart TV / Monitor.

It goes without saying unless all sites have sufficient upload bandwidth the experience isn’t going to be great! :facepalm:

JamminGVT

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for your input. I'm at a loss here. I feel like we are in a pretty good spot with SmartPSS and DMSS. We are able to view our cameras from any location and its secured from what I understand. The solutions you all provided that sound like it would satisfy my boss sound expensive. We just moved our infrastructure to the cloud so getting more servers won't be an acceptable solution to him lol. Thanks everyone.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
OpenVPN doesn’t necessarily require new hardware. It’s usually, well home users, run on the existing router.

It’s not so much about added expense as added difficulty viewing, lesser performance, and more complexity