CMVision IR130 Power Transformer protection box

LittleScoobyMaster

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a couple IR130 illuminators.

http://www.cmvision.co/products/cmvision-cm-ir130-198-leds-300-400ft-long-range-ir-illuminator.html

ir130.JPG

As this is a somewhat popular unit, I'm curious how most of you are protecting the power transformers that come with these units from rain and sun heat, temperature build-up, insects, etc..

Temporarily, until I can decide which electrical junction box I am satisfied with, I currently am using a very unprofessional method of having each one in its own pvc connector box with duct tape at both circular ends. I'm using a slightly giant version of this connector (10+ inches long) so the power transformer fits in it nicely with plenty of room to spare.

Using this method, I wonder how many ventilation holes I need to poke into the duct tape to make sure the unit doesn't overheat. But more importantly, I'd like to switch to a solution that is both safer and if possible, up to electrical codes. I don't have the luxury of hanging this one under the roof soffit, it's kind of out in the open unfortunately.

Curious how everyone else is protecting the transformer for this illuminator. Do you worry that the transformer can overheat?

OwT6Rm.jpg
This is what the transformer looks like that comes shipped with the IR130. It's sort of like a regular laptop transformer:

transformer.JPG

Also, if I were to place it in an electrical junction box, one that is NEMA rated for example, is it better to use plastic or metal?

I would think metal because the plastic ones would maybe be more susceptible to catching fire if the transformer over heated, but I really don't know. Perhaps the NEMA rating means they are plastic but fireproof? There are over 20 NEMA codes and I'm not sure which one would be used for fire prevention. Many of the boxes just say NEMA rated but they don't always list the actual NEMA code. https://www.nema.org/Products/Documents/nema-enclosure-types.pdf

I mean for all I know, maybe all I really need is to make sure it's in something that would protect it from water and call it a day:

thing.JPG

Home Depot carries a thing called the Sockit Box. Maybe that would work too.

sockit.JPG

Standard NEMA style box:

Nemabox.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

hamsoplo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I keep the transformer inside and make the run to the light with heavy speaker wire to the ir light.