Cold joints

JayBird

n3wb
Reaction score
I have an IPC-HDW5231R-ZE that I had to move to another location and in the process....dropped it. Only from about waist high onto a wood deck but it was enough to cause a problem with auto switching from night time B/W to daytime color. I discovered a work around by rebooting the camera every morning after it was light outside. That worked for a while (kind of) until I did a firmware update, then it wouldn’t switch at all.

So, I started digging into it a bit deeper and discovered that I also did not have IR. It was in a location where another camera's IR was enough to illuminate the area for this camera, so I really didn't notice.

Knowing that it had been dropped, I was pretty sure the problem was a physical one so I cracked it open and found there were cold solder joints (pins 2 and 4) on the connector (J18) that feeds the IR and light sensor that had obviously got broken loose in the fall.

Touched up all 4 with the ol' soldering iron and I'm back in business.

Pics were taken before any soldering was done and yes, pin 3 isn't exactly where it should be but it works so I left it.

CameraOpen.jpg
LEDring.jpg
ColdJoints.jpg

bashis

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have an IPC-HDW5231R-ZE that I had to move to another location and in the process....dropped it. Only from about waist high onto a wood deck but it was enough to cause a problem with auto switching from night time B/W to daytime color. I discovered a work around by rebooting the camera every morning after it was light outside. That worked for a while (kind of) until I did a firmware update, then it wouldn’t switch at all.

So, I started digging into it a bit deeper and discovered that I also did not have IR. It was in a location where another camera's IR was enough to illuminate the area for this camera, so I really didn't notice.

Knowing that it had been dropped, I was pretty sure the problem was a physical one so I cracked it open and found there were cold solder joints (pins 2 and 4) on the connector (J18) that feeds the IR and light sensor that had obviously got broken loose in the fall.

Touched up all 4 with the ol' soldering iron and I'm back in business.

Pics were taken before any soldering was done and yes, pin 3 isn't exactly where it should be but it works so I left it.

View attachment 118125
View attachment 118126
View attachment 118127
looks little bit as their firmware IMHO