Eyeball
“Color Night Vision”
4k 30fps
poe
100deg fov or greater
microphone
less than 300$

The only candidates I have found are lorex like
I‘m hoping there is a dahua or other oem equvalent?

I’ve spent quite some time looking and can’t find anything with “Night Color”, as dahua brands it, and 4k.

Last edited:

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Why a dome? Why 4K? Those two requirements alone will remove the inclusion of best performing night camera available right now: The Dahua 5442.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
4K = Worse Color Night vision

A 4MP 5442 will outperform any 8MP 4K camera at night unless we are talking about a several thousand dollar 8MP camera with a massive sensor size. 4K is the opposite of what you want if you care about night time color performance.

cibwi

n3wb
Reaction score
Just realized “Eyeball” is the correct term for what I want.

And yes I know 4k might make night worse. But I want it. There is no technical reason 4k has to be worse, you just need a larger sensor. Why must we assume that there is no camera that does that?

anyway, please stay on topic, really just trying to see if anyone knows the correct oem for the lorex camera I linked.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
And yes I know 4k might make night worse. But I want it. There is no technical reason 4k has to be worse, you just need a larger sensor. Why must we assume that there is no camera that does that?

anyway, please stay on topic, really just trying to see if anyone knows the correct oem for the lorex camera I linked.
I'm not assuming. Don't you think we would all jump to upgrade to a 8MP camera if it performed at well as a 4MP one at night? It doesn't exist in the consumer space unless you are willing to shell out several thousand dollars for something like an Axis high end Q1798-LE and a $170 Dahua 5442 will still outperform it at night.

Lorex is Dahua by the way.

/shrugs

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
There is a vital technical reason that a 4K is not as good at night when compared to a 2K or 1K. It is simple physics. The sensor sizes are the governing factor. The sensor size dictates how many pixels will fit on the sensor. A 4K camera has twice as many pixels as a 2K. That means each pixel receives half the light in a 4K than they do in a 2K. Therefor, theoretically, it takes twice as much illumination for a 4K to equal a 2K in night conditions.

Surveillance cameras are for surveillance. You're not Cecil B. DeMille producing a Hollywood epic. You price range makes a 4K camera with performance equivalent to a 2K impossible. If you MUST have 4K and good low light performance you need to double, triple or more, your budget.

oknoob

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi there im on the learning process here.I use to think the same way like 4K this or that. And order lorex system all 4k until really i need a good nigth footage for something that happen in front of my house. And even call lorex for the quality of the video and they told me that was the best my system can do. Then i find this site and change and learn a lot. Now i replace most of the 8 lorex cameras for the 5442,5241 for lpr and more. Follow the suggestions of the members here and you will have a real survillance system.Now all my lorex cameras rest in a box.

cibwi

n3wb
Reaction score
Lol, again, on topic please. I understand the problems with 4k.

Please only post the oem (dahua) equivalent of the link in the original post, or some other equivalent.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have 4 house lights on the front, each putting out 5,400 lumen. I have a yard lamp putting out 5,400 lumen. I have a floodlight with two Night Chaser bulbs putting out 6,000 lumen.

So I have 33,000 lumen radiating off the front of my house. Most would think that is a lot.

It is not enough light for my 4MP for an image without blur and ghosting at the end of my driveway 50 feet away. I have to run a way slower shutter (1/40) than I would like and a higher gain (77) to make it work if I want it in color. And I have to force it into color as well as that is not enough light for the camera to automatically stay in color. I shutter to think what an image on the same sensor or smaller would be at 4k.

Now that is if I want a usable image and video - I could let the shutter run auto and look like daylight, but then motion is a blur and ghosts...

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
“Starvis”, “Lightfinder”, “Colorvu”, etc... are all marketing terms. Always look at the spec sheets to compare cameras. Particularly sensor size and minimum illumination for color images stated in lux.