Combining led cameras with starlight ptz

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
Im new to this forum. i already tried to read as much as i can and found a lot of useful information that helped me out to avoid spending money on wrong equipment.
I also want to appologize in case my questions were covered. i am reading for about a year now and i didnt find any answers to those questions.
Feel free to guide me if this post was covered or if i should post it on an existing thread.

Before i start reading this forum i bought 3 cameras, 2 tioc 3549 for entrances and 1 5541 for the garage.
I also bought 1 ptz sd5a225 . this is the only camera with correct sensor 1/2.8.
The house is square ( about 50 X 50 feet) and there is yard around ( fenced) , about 10 feet around the house. (The plot is about 60 X 60 feet).
After reading a lot of information in this group, i came with an idea and wanted to ask your opinion.
I need the alarm features of some of the cameras ( like tioc or the 5 series 5849) but i could work around with another solution with external alarm if there are recommendations that dont offer the alarm function.
Since i have the sd5a225, i was thinking of buying another one sd5a425 1/1.8 and put those 2 in the 2 corners of the house so each of them covers 2 sides.
Was thinking of running them on best settings for face recognition and be triggered only by the other cameras (so the ptz in my scenario will be activated on alarm from other cameras).
Then i was thinking of buying the 5449 varifocal led ( bullet or turret ) to cover the rest of my property.
The idea was to get the 5449 work on color + alarm when there is an intruder and the ptz to capture its face.
I know most would use the 5442, and i would love to try them, i just need the alarm. i thought also of the setup with 5442 and a color ptz but i think the neighbors will be distrurbed having the ptz with lights in it rotating at night.
Any comments and help would be appreciated.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
My rule is not to depend solely on a ptz for coverage. It will often be looking the wrong way. They are great secondary cameras in some scenes to get better detail and/or track targets for closer inspection

As long as you have fixed cameras covering the main areas of concern, and use them to help direct the ptz for that purpose, you’re good.

Reaction score
Hi @bigredfish.
I really appreciate your reply.
I read a lot of your comments on other threads and i learn a lot from you.
The idea was to get color image of the "Intruder" and have a better image of his face through the ptz camera.

What would you suggest for my scenario? im open to any suggestion even if its completely different of my initial scenario.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
it would take a lot more with night images of the property for me to give you my best old retired amateur camera hobbyist bourbon drinking advice, but here’s some general notes:
Th PTZs arent going to get you any better night color image than other fixed cameras. Typically they arent as good in low light for color unless you have gobs of ambient light.

I’m just saying a ptz doesnt solve the color image at night problem any better, many times worse, than an appropriate fixed camera and that they should t be relied upon as the sole coverage

What do you mean by “alarm features”?

How much ambient light do you have around the house at night? Are you relying completely on white LEDs for color night image? The 5449 with LEDS and the 5849t1 bullets both should give you good ID (my 5849 bullet has good focus from about 7ft to about 20ft) with the LEDS on.

If you’re saying you want the LED fixed cams to act as spotters for the ptz to zoom into the face lit up by the 5849, yeah I guess but with such short distances I think I’d just add a few more fixed 5449/5849s

Just spitballing

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a weak ass street light 35 ft from one corner of my house, and there is a 5849 with LEDs on 100% shining at the same area from 45ft. I can't run the mini ptz (4MP 1/2.8" sensor) on the front of the house in color at night as an example

20240429_204026_ch1.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
- " How much ambient light do you have around the house at night? "
i have a street light just on 1 of the front corners. the rest is dark.
So if i finally go with either 5449 or 5849 the leds will have to stay on.
It is valuable that you told me they will need to run on 100% to give clear image.

- " What do you mean by “alarm features”? "
On the 2 3549-s4 i have now covering the 2 entrances, im using the audible alarm when person is detected at night and im impressed.
It gave false alarm only 1 time when a cat was around, then i set the minimum size for identification and i never got false alarm again.
The strobe lights are just for decoration ( although i think the idea was for the neighbors to locate the exact area of the noise).
So what i was thinking was a 5 series camera with Speaker so it can make noise on human detection.

If i remove the alarm feature from my requirements, ( maybe i can hardwire a speaker/siren through alarm out wires), would you cover the whole area with 5442 and add 5449/5849 as additional in specific locations?
From what you are saying, i feel i will need to have so much light in the garden for the 5449/5849 to perform at optimal , that in reality it will attract thieves instead of deter them because i will have the only lighted house all night!!!

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah lights are a double edged sword.

I've always been big on as much white light as I can get away with without the FAA visiting me. I much prefer always-on white lights at night vs trying to rely on lights coming on when motion is sensed. Too many chances at missing the good shot.

Cameras need light, its all about light. The more light the better the image. For faces thats important

I'm just saying the PTZ;s are a nice bonus, but provide no benefit over the fixed cameras for a small house.

As far as lights and siren's, this one is the only model I see in 4MP with a good sensor. Ive not used them so I dont know that the case is as to how they can be activated. Maybe some of the guys with TIOC's can give you their opinion