Comms Room - Cable protection from rough edge of plasterboard hole.

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm after suggestions on what I could do to better protect my 50+ cat cables entering my server rack from a non-standard size hole cut in the plasterboard. At present, as a temporary measure, I've inserted thickish carboard under the cables so at least they shouldn't be nicked or damaged by the rough plasterboard edge. The cables as viewed in the photo, run horizontally to the left behind the plasterboard. The black cables are coax and the white cable is low power cable to the doorbell.

20200809_124605.jpg

Steve.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I think what you've done is fine. Once they are tied into either a patch panel or switch then its not like they will ever move again.

aesterling

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That installation is looking nice! You could carefully trim the hole to a standard size and then install an access panel door to sort of act as a plastic grommet.

Like one of these:

@biggen is right, though, probably not needed.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
There's also this kind of stuff in various forms:

I used something similar to finish an odd sized access panel that I could fit any other way. I'd agree that whatever is just going to make it look cleaner and isn't really needed. Smaller holes you can use various sized grommets made for that.