Comparison between PTZs - the 49225 versus 49425 versus Mini-PTZ - mailbox checker

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
We recently had a group come thru checking mailboxes, so I wanted to share the differences between the PTZs.

I purchased these from @EMPIRETECANDY

The 49225 was the sub $400 autotracking king of PTZs. It sports 2MP on the 1/2.8" sensor. This camera is still being sold, but autotracking has been removed and the chipset is now different so you cannot flash an autotrack firmware on it. If you are looking for one of these, it will have to be used and you will want to confirm that it has autotracking on it.

The 49425 is the 4MP brother of the 49225, but it is on the same size sensor as the 2MP (1/2.8" sensor).

The Mini-PTZ is the newest sub $500 PTZ with autotracking. It is a lot smaller (6.7" tall versus 12" tall), so it will be an attractive unit to many people as the size is not that large. It has the best autotracking of the cameras as it can better anticipate where an object is going to get past a tree or something that gets between the object and the camera.

We talk a lot about getting cameras on the ideal MP/sensor ratio whenever possible, and this will show that.

First up is the 49225. This camera is able to stay in color.

PTZ2MP.png

Next up is the 49425:

4MPptz2.jpg

And then finally the mini-PTZ

ptzmini.png

Conclusions. Obviously most would prefer to get images in color. This shows why we stress ideal MP/sensor ratios.

The 2MP on the 1/2.8" sensor could be used in color, but the 4MP on the same 1/2.8" sensor could not. For some people that may have enough visible light, it could be the difference between color or black/white.

But many people do not have enough visible light, nor do they want to add visible light, so they need a camera with good infrared capabilities. Sometimes we have to go with less than ideal for a specific use case, but whenever possible, it is best to try to get ideal MP/sensor ratios.

The mini-PTZ is darker than the 49425 due to the 49425 having better IR, but I think the newer optics/sensors provide a little clearer picture over the 49425.

The 49425 face is a little washed out as I have this camera dialed in for a further distance out, but was able to capture this when I was adjusting my spotter cams when I got the mini-PTZ.

If one has enough light or the ability to add additional light (visible or infrared), I think the mini-PTZ is a great choice due to being newer and smaller.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Keizer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I sure am enjoying my Mini-PTZ on the back of my house. I've already found out a few dirty secrets about my neighbors. Yesterday I zoomed in on a neighbor a couple houses down from me. I wanted to get a closer look at the truck that had just pulled up to her garbage can. It was my other neighbor putting her garbage in said garbage can. I have the deed recorded.....pretty funny.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I sure am enjoying my Mini-PTZ on the back of my house. I've already found out a few dirty secrets about my neighbors. Yesterday I zoomed in on a neighbor a couple houses down from me. I wanted to get a closer look at the truck that had just pulled up to her garbage can. It was my other neighbor putting her garbage in said garbage can. I have the deed recorded.....pretty funny.
It is amazing what we are blind to in our neighborhood until we get cameras and watch back LOL.