Conduit for external cameras

Reaction score
Hi there,

Am based in the UK, and wondering what are thoughts on appropriate conduit for a Hik turret with the DS-1280ZJ junction box please?

The box has a G3/4 gland. Can 20mm plastic conduit be pushed directly into this? Or a galvanised conduit? Do I need thread reducers? What's the typical installation?

I have exterior Cat 5e, but it's too small for the gland, so thinking conduit would be good for security (camera will be lower for identification) as well as able to weatherproof.

Thanks!

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd use what is called EMT, electrical metallic tubing, over here. It's steel but much lighter weight than galvanized and uses compression fittings, for weather proofing, rather than needing to be threaded like galvanized. A variation on that would be liquidtite which is a flexible metallic conduit with a plastic coating to keep it weather tight. Again, it uses compression fittings. Last choice would be PVC plastic conduit although that can be appropriate in some applications. It all depends on your particular requirements and how vandal proof you are trying to achieve. Galvanized would provide the most vandal protection, of course.

Reaction score