Connecting A Joystick Keyboard To The NVR

VideoQ

n3wb
Reaction score
I am looking at purchasing a standalone Hikvision NVR(Hikvision DS-7732NI-I4/24P) and want to know how to go about connecting a joystick keyboard to it for PTZ control.
I know the back of these units have RS485 terminals, so is it possible to use something like the world famous Pelco KBD300A in direct mode/RS485, connected to the NVR ?
I see Hikvision makes their own joystick keyboards which appear to connect to the PTZ cameras through the network, so the joystick keyboard is a network device of it's own.

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
I am looking at purchasing a standalone Hikvision NVR(Hikvision DS-7732NI-I4/24P) and want to know how to go about connecting a joystick keyboard to it for PTZ control.
I know the back of these units have RS485 terminals, so is it possible to use something like the world famous Pelco KBD300A in direct mode/RS485, connected to the NVR ?
I see Hikvision makes their own joystick keyboards which appear to connect to the PTZ cameras through the network, so the joystick keyboard is a network device of it's own.
I wouldn't see why you couldn't. In looking at the NVR manual, it appears you have a RS485 terminals that would parallel connections to each PTZ camera you have that has RS485 connectivity and it has what appears to be two terminals for the RS485 keyboard to connect to. But, then again, it is written in typical Hikvision fashion, where they spend all their efforts documenting all of the firmware features and seem to glaze over or totally skip documenting anything about hardware compatibility, connectivity and setup. I believe the NVR firmware has capability for the Pelco P protocol. I saw something about P in the keyboard manual. Let us know what you decide.

VideoQ

n3wb
Reaction score
I wouldn't see why you couldn't. In looking at the NVR manual, it appears you have a RS485 terminals that would parallel connections to each PTZ camera you have that has RS485 connectivity and it has what appears to be two terminals for the RS485 keyboard to connect to. But, then again, it is written in typical Hikvision fashion, where they spend all their efforts documenting all of the firmware features and seem to glaze over or totally skip documenting anything about hardware compatibility, connectivity and setup. I believe the NVR firmware has capability for the Pelco P protocol. I saw something about P in the keyboard manual. Let us know what you decide.
The good news is I have a bunch of KBD300A keyboards from my cctv system. I did indeed end up buying a Hikvision DS-7732NI-I4/24P and have been experimenting and learning how to use it. I have yet to key my hands on an IP-PTZ camera so that will be a whole other adventure. Is PTZ control data sent through the network cable, or separate to the RS485 data terminals on the camera ?

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
On the PTZ IP cameras that use POE+, the PTZ control is done through the ethernet connection. There may be some manufacturers of IP PTZ cameras that allow both network control and RS485 control. What I have seen with Hikvision is their newer Camera products have seemed to abandon the RS485 PTZ control. I would say to look at the camera specs closely before purchase if you want to do RS485 PTZ control to the camera.

VideoQ

n3wb
Reaction score
On the PTZ IP cameras that use POE+, the PTZ control is done through the ethernet connection. There may be some manufacturers of IP PTZ cameras that allow both network control and RS485 control. What I have seen with Hikvision is their newer Camera products have seemed to abandon the RS485 PTZ control. I would say to look at the camera specs closely before purchase if you want to do RS485 PTZ control to the camera.
Yes indeed RS485 is oldschool technologies. What I do not understand however is what protocol is being used to send control signal over the network. Otherwise it would have to be brand specific/compatible or ONVIF compliant.

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes indeed RS485 is oldschool technologies. What I do not understand however is what protocol is being used to send control signal over the network. Otherwise it would have to be brand specific/compatible or ONVIF compliant.
I know on my cameras, under PTZ, you can setup the protocol, baud rates, stop bits, node number, parity, etc. Or, you can tell it network control.

VideoQ

n3wb
Reaction score
I know on my cameras, under PTZ, you can setup the protocol, baud rates, stop bits, node number, parity, etc. Or, you can tell it network control.
If you select "network control" does it give any further options such as choosing a manufacture brand, or ONVIF profile ?
Now the question is could an RS485 keyboard be used to network control the cameras...that is to say RS485 is being sent to the NVR, and the NVR is in turn controlling the cameras over the network.....