Connecting Amcrest AD410 to 220v/12v chime?

dieguit

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello! I bought an Amcrest AD410, and I'm trying to connect it to a chime.
There is no existing wiring right now (only 220v in the place where the chime will be). I am having trouble understanding how to wire everything (including the chime kit), specially since here in Argentina current standards seem a bit different (haven't found AC chimes, for example)

The most common thing here (for "traditional chimes"), seems to be chimes with integrated transformers, so that 220v DC goes in (2 cables, I assume 1 live and 1 neutral) and 12v DC goes out (also 2 cables) to the front key in the door.

By reading some other posts and from the technical specs that say "Power Input: AC16V~AC24V, DC12V~DC24V", is it safe to assume I can connect the chime's output 12v dc to the Amcrest front?

In that case, where should I plug the Chime Kit?

And my last question is, is there any issues about using it at DC12V instead of AC16V? Is it going to miss any features or something like that?

Thanks!

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The most common thing here (for "traditional chimes"), seems to be chimes with integrated transformers, so that 220v DC goes in (2 cables, I assume 1 live and 1 neutral) and 12v DC goes out (also 2 cables) to the front key in the door.
That's not 220V DC going in, it's 220V AC (transformers won't step down DC) so it's likely 12V AC coming out as well if it's a simple transformer.

You may need to have an electrician replace your doorbell transformer with one rated 16VAC to 30VAC on its secondary (output) and 220VAC on its primary (input).

Below is an image for how to hook up 2 DB's to a chime with front & rear sections, found here. Just eliminate one chime kit if only one DB.

Amcrest AD410 2 DBs one chime.jpg[/QUOTE]

dieguit

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah you are right, seems like the chimes outputs are 12V AC. That means none of them will work
If I buy an external transformer AC16V~AC24V transformer, how would the diagram work? As the chimes input are 220v right?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah you are right, seems like the chimes outputs are 12V AC. That means none of them will work
If I buy an external transformer AC16V~AC24V transformer, how would the diagram work? As the chimes input are 220v right?
I cannot say if the chimes input is 220v, but it's likely there's a built-in step-down transformer to a lower voltage for safety reasons: you should NOT be sending 120VAC or 220VAC out to a doorbell...VERY dangerous!

You may have to replace the chime with one that works within the same voltage range as the DB.

Don't take this wrong, but if you still can't identify how you should go about this, then I repeat....hire an electrician....a REAL electrician. :cool:

dieguit

n3wb
Reaction score
I cannot say if the chimes input is 220v, but it's likely there's a built-in step-down transformer to a lower voltage for safety reasons: you should NOT be sending 120VAC or 220VAC out to a doorbell...VERY dangerous!

You may have to replace the chime with one that works within the same voltage range as the DB.

Don't take this wrong, but if you still can't identify how you should go about this, then I repeat....hire an electrician....a REAL electrician. :cool:
Yeah, well the reason why I'm posting this is because the electrician did not understand how to do this right hahaha. I'll look for some other people in my area to assist with this anyway!
Thanks!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, well the reason why I'm posting this is because the electrician did not understand how to do this right hahaha. I'll look for some other people in my area to assist with this anyway!
Thanks!
Yeah, we've got some here also that because they can make a light bulb light up they call themselves an "electrician". They can usually follow a diagram someone else drew up but they couldn't tell if it's correct or not...I call them "wire men." :confused: