connecting remotely through double nat

slowmod

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thought I had this resolved by having the client switch to a business account with a static IP, but hughesnet is telling him that he will have to buy a new dish and modem for ~$600 and they will not refund him for his week old set up- so that is now out of the question. It appears I'm going to run into the same nat issue using a 4G LTE connections as well.

what can I use out there as far as a software host VPN or cloud based VPN? It's a windows 10 BI machine with IOS and Android clients.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
There are a number of options, but none are particularly easy. If there is a PC or router that can receive connections from the public internet then you can set up an OpenVPN server there and set up an OpenVPN client on the BI machine that is stuck behind the satellite link. Do what you need to do to make sure the client automatically stays connected. Then proxy the connection through the public-accessible endpoint. If OpenVPN is too complicated, there are easier services like NeoRouter and Hamachi that accomplish a similar goal.

If a publicly accessible machine is not available for the vpn server, then cheap cloud servers running linux would work for $2.50 to $5 or so per month.

Of course if you are maintaining a tunneled proxy for a client, you should probably not do it for free.

FYI, if you have to do a manual openvpn server setup, this script really helps: GitHub - Angristan/OpenVPN-install: Improved OpenVPN installer for Debian, Ubuntu, CentOS and Arch Linux

Last edited: