Connecting through ui3 and ZeroTier is showing FPS at 1-5, even though I’ve set cameras at 15. Any idea why? My cpu is at 20-40%.

jelf4352

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have an eight gen computer with 16gb ram running windows 10 on dual NIC and only seven 4mp Dahua cameras 5442. It’s really odd. Anyone else experience this? I’m currently traveling overseas in China - would that have anything to do with it? I run the cameras on 264 at 8164 bitrate. If I export the videos they are smooth but when I watch liveview they are laggy and choppy and often have connection issues.

Thanks - let me know if I should provide any more info. Just wondering if there could be some common troubleshooting ?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Under BI's "settings" => 'Cameras", uncheck "Limit live preview rate..."

BTW, have you performed all optimizations, including Direct to Disk, sub streams, etc. ?

jelf4352

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Under BI's "settings" => 'Cameras", uncheck "Limit live preview rate..."

BTW, have you performed all optimizations, including Direct to Disk, sub streams, etc. ?
Thanks Tony, I’ll give it a try. I decided not to do substreams just in case I need the footage if motion isn’t triggered for some odd reason. I do direct to disk recording. What other main optimizations are there ? - I’m drawing a blank on them right now. I didn’t do hardware acceleration.

jelf4352

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So
Thanks Tony, I’ll give it a try. I decided not to do substreams just in case I need the footage if motion isn’t triggered for some odd reason. I do direct to disk recording. What other main optimizations are there ? - I’m drawing a blank on them right now. I didn’t do hardware acceleration.
Sorry, saw the link you provided. Yea, I’ve done most of them. I wonder if it’s because I’m in China for some odd reason? Kind of annoying.

jelf4352

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I also noticed once I export the video is smooth but the Audio is still choppy….guess I’ll have to play around with it when I get back home

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is because you aren't using substreams.

You can still use substreams to keep CPU down and take advantage of the purpose of substreams which will help when away.

Simply record as continuous to record 24/7 mainstream, but enable substream for multicam view.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
There is a combination of factors. If UI3 works fine when you are local, then I have little reason to believe the trouble is caused by CPU usage, sub stream usage, or any other software optimization within Blue Iris.

Your connection from China to Los Angeles is likely high latency with lots of jitter (variations in latency), which messes with Blue Iris's ability to send video reliably at a sufficient rate. The streaming pipeline between Blue Iris and UI3 includes only the minimum possible amount of buffering in order to keep delay at a minimum. This means at any moment when the network can't keep up, UI3 does not have a buffer of video to fall back on.

Do you get the orange clock in the upper right corner of UI3 after a few moments? If you right click (long press on touchscreens) the video in UI3 and open the "Stats for nerds" panel, you'll get some graphs which include among other things the "Network Delay" currently being experienced. If that graph goes up over time, it means your bandwidth is insufficient and you should choose a lower resolution streaming profile in UI3 or otherwise limit the streaming bit rate (UI3 has a global option "Maximum H.264 Kbps" in UI Settings > Video Player). That is one potential cause of getting a low frame rate.

And finally, if Zerotier can't make a peer-to-peer connection for any reason, it may try to tunnel through some other server which can further increase latency and reduce bandwidth available. I've had connectivity problems before with Zerotier that I could only resolve by manually forwarding the appropriate ports to the Zerotier service on important machines so that a proper peer-to-peer connection could be established more reliably.

jelf4352

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There is a combination of factors. If UI3 works fine when you are local, then I have little reason to believe the trouble is caused by CPU usage, sub stream usage, or any other software optimization within Blue Iris.

Your connection from China to Los Angeles is likely high latency with lots of jitter (variations in latency), which messes with Blue Iris's ability to send video reliably at a sufficient rate. The streaming pipeline between Blue Iris and UI3 includes only the minimum possible amount of buffering in order to keep delay at a minimum. This means at any moment when the network can't keep up, UI3 does not have a buffer of video to fall back on.

Do you get the orange clock in the upper right corner of UI3 after a few moments? If you right click (long press on touchscreens) the video in UI3 and open the "Stats for nerds" panel, you'll get some graphs which include among other things the "Network Delay" currently being experienced. If that graph goes up over time, it means your bandwidth is insufficient and you should choose a lower resolution streaming profile in UI3 or otherwise limit the streaming bit rate (UI3 has a global option "Maximum H.264 Kbps" in UI Settings > Video Player). That is one potential cause of getting a low frame rate.

And finally, if Zerotier can't make a peer-to-peer connection for any reason, it may try to tunnel through some other server which can further increase latency and reduce bandwidth available. I've had connectivity problems before with Zerotier that I could only resolve by manually forwarding the appropriate ports to the Zerotier service on important machines so that a proper peer-to-peer connection could be established more reliably.
Yes, that orange clock comes up frequently and the stats for nerds shows the video delay spiking quite a lot. My current setting for the h.254 video player is default at -1. What would you suggest?

you mention manually opening ports on the ZeroTier. Can you explain more how I would go about doing this? I’m learning a lot of the networking as I go.

I think you are spot on because I don’t remember all this delay back home in the states.

jelf4352

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

I adjusted the resolution from 4mp to 1mp and I’m achieving 15 fps. I just would have liked to maintain the resolution , although I guess it’s not that necessary if I’m just viewing in the phone and everything is recorded in 4mps. Simple fix but thanks for the advice

jelf4352

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
just to confirm, adjusting the resolution in ui3 doesn’t impact the recorded resolution?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I adjusted the resolution from 4mp to 1mp and I’m achieving 15 fps. I just would have liked to maintain the resolution , although I guess it’s not that necessary if I’m just viewing in the phone and everything is recorded in 4mps. Simple fix but thanks for the advice
Try 500 in the Maximum H.264 Kbps setting. 500 is equivalent to 0.5 Mbps. Go up or down from there. This will let you use any streaming profile you like without going above a certain bit rate.

you mention manually opening ports on the ZeroTier. Can you explain more how I would go about doing this? I’m learning a lot of the networking as I go.
You can read about it here. Router Configuration Tips - ZeroTier Knowledge Base - Confluence They have a lot of tips and also a few command line commands you can try to diagnose if your connection is "relayed" meaning it is tunneling through a 3rd-party server because a direct connection could not be established.

The gist of it is, if you can forward port 9993 for UDP traffic to your Blue Iris machine (and assuming your ISP provides a publicly routable IPv4 address), then it should make peer-to-peer connections to and from the Blue Iris machine much more reliable without need for a 3rd-party relay for your connection.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
What is the percentage chance that his location and the fact he is a foreigner ( probably commincationg in English) is flagged for content or for observation etc...?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
What is the percentage chance that his location and the fact he is a foreigner ( probably commincationg in English) is flagged for content or for observation etc...?
Probably not low. But ZeroTier traffic is encrypted, so all they'd know is what address he is connecting to and how much traffic is going back and forth.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Your CPU usage is on the high side.
Make sure that you properly excluded BI from any antivirus software, including MS Defender, as per the BI instructions.

jelf4352

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Your CPU usage is on the high side.
Make sure that you properly excluded BI from any antivirus software, including MS Defender, as per the BI instructions.
Thanks, will do. It usually stays below 20 but spikes above 3-4 times a day, a little odd. I’ll check the anti virus again.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It will definitely drop once you implement substreams.