Connectivity lesson learned

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I've had a no-name, 4Mp, camera for a few years that I bought long before I found this forum and Dahua cameras. In any event, it has worked, sort of, for almost four years now but has been dropping out on a regular basis. When it drops out the whole config goes south even though it's powered by a 12 volt supply rather than PoE, which is can be powered by as well. Sometimes I haven't even been abe to configure it properly after it comes back online by itself. It became a PITA so I took it down and replaced it with a Dahua turret.

Being cheap, I wanted to find out why it keeps rebooting itself. Sometimes it seemed almost temperature related but other times it appeared totally random. When I took it down I noticed that the RJ was held, solidly, by the clip but could be pushed in about 1/8" further. Thought nothing of it.

Long story short, it ran fine in my office for two days, then started dropping out again. I did move it around a few times to change the view. Then, the dawn came and I checked the RJ. Yup, still held in place just not quite seated all the way. Reseated it and all is well again.

Lesson learned - make sure the RJ connectors are fully seated even if the clip is retaining them well.

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
Usually most newer cameras have a weather proof connection that once you clip in the connection it screws together
As those clips can move apart quite easily on there own when screwing the camera in place
Heat shrink comes in handy for the older type with no weather proof connection

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
The big problem with heat shrink, or tape for that matter, is that it puts pressure on the latch tong making it even easier for things to go "arye" or "ascotch".

I also wonder if the pins haven't lost some of their spring over time. That would make the problem worse.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
In the communication business we used to have a lot of theft problems so we would cut off the tab so the connector could not be removed without a small screwdriver. I think this would also prevent the heat shrink from pressing on the latch, there would not be a latch.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I think I'll use some SS wire I have hanging around. Easy on, easy off. Removing the tab sounds like a problem waiting to happen somehow. Given the way the fingers apply pressure to the RJ it has a tendency to be pushed out. Putting heat shrink on, or taking it off, up on a ladder, outside, in the wind, in the rain. in the snow, in the ice, in the raging dust storm, all at the same time, just isn't all that appealing although it should be fairly permanent.

Last edited:

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I hope they don't use rj connectors on airplanes!

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
@looney2ns Nope, no dielectric grease. This connection is, essentially, in an attic area and protected from moisture encroachment.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
OK, I've got to thank @looney2ns for the dielectric grease suggestion! I never would have thought of that even though I use it in automotive applications all the time if looney hadn't asked. A DUHHH, senior, moment I guess. Maybe he isn't so looney after all :)

Anyhow, I tested that problematic camera for two weeks on a window sill after putting a dab of dielectric grease on the RJ. No drops, no resets to factory defaults or any other problems. I unplugged it and put it in the basement where it sat for a week with no power until I had time to mount it outside in a spot where I want a camera. It never even lost its configuration, resolution, frame rate, bit rate, IP, user name, password and time zone were maintained, which shocked the crap out of me. It normally lost all that with a momentary power drop. It's been up for five days now and working properly. Who'd a thunk a little dielectric grease would do that?

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I have to admit I am still suspicious of that camera. While the dielectric grease could, and apparently did, improve/correct some connection problems the fact that it held its config for a few days without power makes me wonder if it's all just serendipity. Even when it was brandy new any power interruption would cause it to completely lose its config. Something changed, somewhere. The big question is where.

Dazcomputers

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've had a no-name, 4Mp, camera for a few years that I bought long before I found this forum and Dahua cameras. In any event, it has worked, sort of, for almost four years now but has been dropping out on a regular basis. When it drops out the whole config goes south even though it's powered by a 12 volt supply rather than PoE, which is can be powered by as well. Sometimes I haven't even been abe to configure it properly after it comes back online by itself. It became a PITA so I took it down and replaced it with a Dahua turret.

Being cheap, I wanted to find out why it keeps rebooting itself. Sometimes it seemed almost temperature related but other times it appeared totally random. When I took it down I noticed that the RJ was held, solidly, by the clip but could be pushed in about 1/8" further. Thought nothing of it.

Long story short, it ran fine in my office for two days, then started dropping out again. I did move it around a few times to change the view. Then, the dawn came and I checked the RJ. Yup, still held in place just not quite seated all the way. Reseated it and all is well again.

Lesson learned - make sure the RJ connectors are fully seated even if the clip is retaining them well.
This is a very good lesson. Checking connections is crucial. Can save lots of time and money if diagnosed early.