Consistantly losing connection

pinkrain

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 3 IP cameras all PoE that run to a tplink switch that then is connected to my router.

But for some reason my driveway camera and always just the driveway keeps disconnecting but from the network but yet the lights on the switch that signal power and signal remain on. Its set the dchp assigned by the router I have tried with only one camera on the switch but it still looses connection.

Any ideas?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Does it stay offline until you unplug it and plug it back in?

How often does it happen?

Can you try it with a different network cable? You can move the camera for a temporary test with a short cable if needed.

Could be that the camera is crashing for some reason (defective camera possibly, which is why we want to rule out the cable as a problem).

Also just to rule out the possibility that someone out on the internet is messing with the camera, make sure it isn't accessible from the internet: How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) | IP Cam Talk

pinkrain

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the promt reply.

It stays offline until it's rebooted. I will try later with a different cable.
There is no common time frame for it to lose connection. For example yesterday it lost connection two times within 10 minutes but then last night it took 10 hours for it to loose connection again.

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Presumably you have checked the camera connection for any signs of corrosion?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most likely a cable issue. Did you crimp the ends?
Where they done per 568b standard?
Did you use Pure Solid Copper cable?
Is the outdoor connection water proofed correctly?

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
Its set the dchp assigned by the router
Do you have a DHCP 'reservation' assigned in the router's UI for the cam? If not,
check your router's configured DHCP range to make sure it's big enough.

If the range is too small, and you have more devices getting their IP via DHCP than fit in the range,
the router has to overwrite/reuse addresses. So your cam's IP address might be being re-assigned to another
device that comes online, effectively knocking the cam off the net...

Another option (besides making sure your dhcp range is bigger than the number of devices that may use it)
is to manually assign the cams and NVR IP addresses OUTSIDE the dhcp range (static addresses). That way,
dhcp will never renumber or re-assign the IP. Most folks manually assign IP's to their servers and cams,
either as 'static' ip's outside the dhcp range, or with dhcp 'reservations' in the range.

forgive my pedantics if you know all that already, in which case, you may have a wiring problem...