Control PTZ Presets with another Cameras Trigger

jaycanter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@jazzy1 for address are using the BI address and port? or the cam ip?

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Using the internal LAN ip and port of the bi server.. like I said, I know it’s doing something because when I copy and paste the line of commands into web browser, the PTZ camera does move to the specified preset ... For whatever stupid reason, actually triggering the second camera in blue Iris or physically or clicking on the test button all return that 7878 error and nothing happens

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
still unable to make this work...is it possible my BI server port is impacting it?? is there a particular port I should change it to?

oldman

n3wb
Reaction score
Was having same problem as jazzy1. Found that I had to uncheck "Use secure session keys and login page" under the Webserver tab->Advanced dialog.

Tried using Authentication setting as Non-LAN only with "Use secure session keys and login page" checked, but didn't work when accessing from LAN Address. Not sure I understand the Non-LAN setting or maybe it's broke.

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Was having same problem as jazzy1. Found that I had to uncheck "Use secure session keys and login page" under the Webserver tab->Advanced dialog.

Tried using Authentication setting as Non-LAN only with "Use secure session keys and login page" checked, but didn't work when accessing from LAN Address. Not sure I understand the Non-LAN setting or maybe it's broke.
Yes, I just tested this and it works if i uncheck "Use secure session keys and login page" as you suggested...but is my server NOT secure then?
Also, how do I get the PTZ to return to the previous preset once the triggered event ends? Do I need to fill in the "Request again when trigger is reset" section with another script for the previous preset?

oldman

n3wb
Reaction score
It appears that BI still prompts for a username and password the first time logging in. I was hoping setting the Non-LAN option would prevent the webserver from being open to the WAN, but that seems to only work when you check "Use Secure Session Keys" which then breaks the ability to use the alerts "Request from a web service".

You can have your camera return to a previous preset automatically (say Home) by defining an event schedule for that camera. (I think the default is a reset after 30 secs. This is set in the PTZ/Control tab of the camera at the bottom, option: Resume cycle/schedule after inactivity (sec) )

Example:
On the Schedule tab, for the camera, select "Event schedule button" then,
set time to 12:00 am
set what profile(s) this occurs on i.e. 1
set function to PTZ Preset x, where x is the defined preset for that camera you want it to return to.
Check "Search-back at startup/reset"

Or you could just use the Request again when trigger is reset with a different preset value.

Last edited:

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
so if I leave that "Use secure session keys and login page" unchecked, is the server totally open to WAN?...this certainly doesnt seem worth it?!

oldman

n3wb
Reaction score
Depends on your router settings for the BI Server. If you have the BI webserver port forwarded, then it is visible to the WAN (or if you left it at 80). According to the BI Help file, If you leave the "Use secure" unchecked, blue Iris will still use basic authentication, however once logged in from an address BI would not require re-authentication again until the cache expires or maybe when BI is restarted (Server).

Somebody with more experience with BI might be able to give you a more accurate answer or you could email Ken (Blue iris support) and ask if this leaves you unsecured. Like I stated earlier, I thought using the authentication option Non-LAN with the "Use Secure" would allow LAN based requests to be used without logging in and block Non-LAN (i.e. WAN) requests with login. Doesn't appear to work that way though.

dirk6665

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Whatever happened to Ken putting PTZ tracking AI into the application itself? Seems to me I recall him saying something about this quite some time ago but never seen anything come of it and I was really excited about this particular feature!

kc8tmv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'd say you'd have to email the developer. Have you done that yet? i'd like this type of functionality too.
Does anyone know who the developer is and their email address? If it's on the forum I missed it.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
You'll probably only get an answer if you use the link in the configuration page of the BI software, showing you actually have support.

Reaction score
@PSPCommOp, I have no idea how to do this in BlueIris..
Hey bud I know this thread is old as heck but hoping you are still around. My problem is (Sercomm icamera-1000) or XFINITY XHC1-SE if you prefer.... Everything works AWESOME on BI except night mode. Cant make it turn on manually or automatically. If I go into my camera settings portal I can manually turn on and off and there is a setting for auto (camera portal not BI) but as far as I can tell the auto doesnt work a bit. So my (hopeful) work around is this. I have figured out the commnads to enable and disable through cgi settings on web. (/io/daynight.cgi?action=set&mode=0) and (/io/daynight.cgi?action=set&mode=1) However it still wont auto. So I figured, if I can make BI send those commands via a PTZ custom call somehow I can turn on and off through app and UI. Also I could make 2 camera profiles, one "day" and one "nighT" and use the scheduling in BI to enable the correct one at the correct time even though they would be the same physical camera just with different default parameters. Any help appreciated!