Convert .dav files and preserve audio

tubac

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi,

Hope I am in the right forum. I have a Dahua NVR and a newish Dahua 4mp ip camera with built in microphone.
This one: http://www.securitycameraking.com/IPVD-PR4IR-A.html
After recording a clip I am left with a .dav file. The audio is on it but when I try to convert it to an .asf, .mp4, .aiff, .mov file its not. I have a Mac that I do my editing on so... Is there a trick to converting .dav files so the audio track plays? Every converter I've tried converts the video perfectly-just no audio...

Tubac

tubac

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi, Thanks,

I did find this file and when I choose "source path" it just quits. I am running Yosemite...
I think I found it on bahamasecurity

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
hrmm, I am still on Mavericks and it works just fine.. iirc SmartPlayer also gives me audio output, never had any issues loosing audio.. you can even upload the dav direct to youtube and it handles it.

tubac

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Both PSS and the Techpro software for iPad works fine but I record on the NVR.
I'll try my wife's computer tomorrow, she has Mavericks...
Thanks!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not PSS, SmartPlayer.. its another app to play back dav files its in the bundle I posted above.

I also record on NVR..

tubac

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi,

I used Smart Player and it works great to play and convert the .dav files. However, it chopped up the .dav file into short segments when I converted to .avi. I read your post where you addressed this issue by going into Web Service and increasing the duration of the clip or using File Converter which does not work on my iMac running Yosemite.Also this camera had to be configured as ONVIF, so it has the 10.1.1.XXX scheme and
a new Network browser I haven't seen before. There is no record control. I tried merging the clips in iDealshare and iMovie, but it is not a fluid merge with lots of jerky cuts. Any other ideas to merge the converted clips into one fluid clip? Thanks to you I am halfway there!

Tubac

tubac

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My page looks different than yours:
IMG_1836.JPG

I increased the pack duration to 120 mins.
is there an app that will merge the converted files together?

JimandYen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,

Hope I am in the right forum. I have a Dahua NVR and a newish Dahua 4mp ip camera with built in microphone.
This one: http://www.securitycameraking.com/IPVD-PR4IR-A.html
After recording a clip I am left with a .dav file. The audio is on it but when I try to convert it to an .asf, .mp4, .aiff, .mov file its not. I have a Mac that I do my editing on so... Is there a trick to converting .dav files so the audio track plays? Every converter I've tried converts the video perfectly-just no audio...

Tubac
Doesn't your NVR have the option to output the file as an .asf instead of .dav ? I might be on the wrong track here... I haven't used audio yet.. :)

tubac

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Doesn't your NVR have the option to output the file as an .asf instead of .dav ? I might be on the wrong track here... I haven't used audio yet.. :)
No option, just .dav files. Is there a version update? My current system version is 3.200.0001.0

JimandYen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No option, just .dav files. Is there a version update? My current system version is 3.200.0001.0
My version is 3.210 but I have an older version on another machine that has this option also.

When I want to get a clip off the NVR to a usb stick there is an option under "File Format" where you can choose .dav or .asf (older ones have avi)

Is that what your're trying to do...?

JimandYen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Your're quite welcome...
Like I said earlier I haven't used audio yet but hopefully it works for you.

Let us know if it preserves the audio when you do it that way.

tubac

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Audio was preserved. I am a happy camper. This is the first camera I have with a built in microphone. The camera had to be configured with onvif because it wasn't compatible with my NVR, even though I bought both items at Security Camera King.
So in the Net Browser under audio you have to pick a codec from 5 dropdown choices. By trial and error G.711.ulaw worked for me. Like they say, its easy if you know how... Thanks again! I edit in iMovie so I converted the as file to HD iMovie (MP4) Sound is finei