Coyote nabs one of my chickens - Thermal vs. Optical

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Nov 9, 2014
This was captured using the Dahua DH-TPC-BF5421 I picked up last week. I suspected I was losing chickens to predation. It helped justify the excursion into thermal cameras.

Given the short surveillance time (<1 min), and the rather difficult location (no clean shot from the house), it will take some real planning, strategy, patience, and effort to get this 'yote.

View attachment thermal coyote.mp4
View attachment optical coyote.mp4

Nice to see the thermal camera in action. There was plenty of visible light in this scene so the thermal cam wasn't needed, but does it do as well in total darkness?

Nice to see the thermal camera in action. There was plenty of visible light in this scene so the thermal cam wasn't needed, but does it do as well in total darkness?

it should, maybe better because at night the thermal contrast between the fox and the ground would be higher.

Admittedly I haven't had very much time with this thermal camera - so take my opinion for what it's worth... But, I think in this particular case, the thermal was magnitudes better for detection of the coyote during his surveillance phase. In fact, until it actually made its move in the optical image, it was invisible to me. It blended in perfectly with the surroundings. Once I knew where he was, I could see him, but without the thermal (or actual movement in the optical version) I would likely never have detected him.

The berm where he perched is about 100 yds from the camera location. So image clarity (during the day) was marginal at best. At night, the IR would not have been sufficient to ID the yote. But thermal provided such a dramatic contrast that it was immediately obvious that he was there.

As far as the distinction between day and night on thermal, I actually have to reference the timestamp on the video to know whether it's day or night. IOW, I cannot perceive a difference in image quality in thermal between day/night.

That said, this model is 400x300 on the thermal. I recently added the TPC-BF2221-HTM. It's only 256x192, and that is noticeably worse during the day than at night. So I think the resolution of the thermal imager plays a big part in how dramatic the daylight/high temps differ from night/cooler temps.

For example, on the BF2221 I get these:

Day:
10-thermal 2024-07-07 12.30.16.205 PM.jpg

Night
10-thermal 2024-07-07 09.16.24.190 PM.jpg

But the BF5421, I get these:

Day:
8-thermal 2024-07-05 12.40.22.571 PM.jpg

Night:

8-thermal 2024-07-05 05.52.39.721 AM.jpg

Your lower performing camera looks like maybe they are doing a lot of edge enhancement possibly to make up for other shortcomings. In the day there can be a lot of thermal content due to the sun heating things up so lots of little details and such and when you run the edge filter over those it gets busy looking.

Your lower performing camera looks like maybe they are doing a lot of edge enhancement possibly to make up for other shortcomings. In the day there can be a lot of thermal content due to the sun heating things up so lots of little details and such and when you run the edge filter over those it gets busy looking.

Yeah, that's where my "wet behind the ears" shows. I'm sure there are settings that aren't optimal. I just haven't had time to compare or do some fine tuning. I will have more time in the coming days. THanks for the suggestion on where to start.

Yeah, that's where my "wet behind the ears" shows. I'm sure there are settings that aren't optimal. I just haven't had time to compare or do some fine tuning. I will have more time in the coming days. THanks for the suggestion on where to start.

Oh sorry, wasn't implying user error. I've spent some professional time working on cameras of this sort so I have some down in the weeds experience of what might be going on.

I have a TPC-BF5421 incoming this week. Looking forward to playing with it.
That Ebay seller ran out of the 2221's and sold me the 5421 for same price. He's lowered that price on his page BTW

The Dahua DH-TPC-BF5421 listing has pretty nice bulk discounts too ;)

1720491734938.png

I'm temped to get one even though it is another narrow FOV and I don't want another narrow FOV thermal cam so much.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reactions: bigredfish
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Looks to me like you’ll need to trap that yote.
Even if you where on scene, ready to take a shot, there was no opportunity.

Yes! And after watching a few YouTube videos, and spending some time at Rural King, the trap is set. Right at the spot where he surveilled the chickens. I set it about 2 hours ago.

1720661445161.png

RK didn't have any coyote or bobcat lure, so I used red fox gland lure. I have the coyote stuff on order from Amazon, but where I am, nothing comes in less than 7 days from them. In the meantime, hope fox glands smell good to them :)

needs more 6.8 with 85 grn pill moving at around 2950 fps