CPU Usage in MHZ?

Git

Banned
Reaction score
There are a lot of threads about Blue Iris and CPU usage - and most of them talk about "percentage" of the CPU being used. Since there are hundred of CPUs out there - it makes it hard for a true apple to apple comparison.

I have been running my copy of Blue Iris in a Virtual Machine on a vSphere ESXI server. I am certainly not an expert when it comes to VM's but tonight I was looking at some performance graphs and it got me thinking....

One of the metrics in vSphere is CPU usage in mhz.

My server has a Xeon e5-2630 v3 CPU that runs at 2.4 ghz. It has 8 cores with 16 threads (logical processors) so basically I have 16 processors that I can assign to virtual machines. I run Blue Iris in a VM that runs Server 2012 and I have assigned it 6 logical processors so I have 14,400 mhz of CPU power available. (2.4 ghz is 2400 mhz x 6 gives me 14,400)

As an example, my main computer is still chugging by on a Intel 2600k that is a quad core and runs at 3.4 ghz. If I look at "Processors" in Device Manager it shows 8 of them so if I understand it correctly, I would have 27,200 mhz of cpu power available (3.4 ghz is 3400 mhz x eight = 27,200)

Now, my Blue Iris server usually uses around 45% of the CPU. (I have 6 Hikvision and 2 Foscam cameras using motion detection for recording and direct to disk). 45% may not mean anything to you, but if I said it usually uses about 6,500 mhz - wouldn't this be a better way to express cpu usage that you could relate to? (If you did some simple math you could determine how much cpu power you have or how much you would need based on what users have reported?

Again, I am no expert, and this is just my 'theory' but does it make sense or hold water?

Attachments

aaronwt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
And what about the percentage of the CPU? I know with my PC I run BI4 on, it could be using 75% of the CPU, but it's only using one core. I run the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility in the background which keeps track of the temp, cores used, percentage etc. If I'm logged into the machine it skews the results to show more cores and CPU usage. But if it's just running with no one accessing it, my core usage and CPU percentage is much lower. Which is the actual usage since I don't access it very much and when I do it's remotely 95% of the time. So right now I've been running the utility since this morning. The average core usage is 2, and the average CPU percentage is 47%. There was a lot of motion detection today with some movers from a neighbor for several hours in front, and a bunch of kids playing out back for several hours.

I'm currently running four 3MP Hikvisions, three 1MP cameras, and seven .75MP cameras.
I have two more 3MP HikVisions waiting to be added sometime to replace two more of the old .75MP cameras. So I'm hoping that won't affect my CPU numbers too much.