CPU usage

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks to Direct to Disk recording and hardware acceleration I've got my CPU usage down to a very low number. Question is why am I seeing 20% in BI console and 10% in Task Manager?

Also, I saw a post stating increased CPU usage after upgrade to ver. 4.5.0.0. I actually saw a decrease.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
BI console shows overall CPU usage for all processes. Kind of like the Performance tab in Windows 10's task manager shows overall CPU usage.

You can get breakdowns of individual processes on the Processes and Details tabs of the task manager. I don't 100% trust the Processes tab; it does not always agree with the Details tab, but usually is within a few % points.

Also, particularly when you have hardware acceleration enabled and a bunch of cameras, Blue Iris causes a few % usage in the "System" and "System interrupts" processes.

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well, right now BI console is showing 18% with lots of fluctuations. Task manager Performance is showing CPU at 10%.

TM Processes is showing 9% overall and BI at 8.7%. TM's Details is has BI fluctuating from 12 to 21%.

I'm running 6 cameras so I'm not complaining, but I can't find any other individual processes that are adding to the overall total.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is this with the console window minimized? If not, it will go down further if minimize it when not viewing it.

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is this with the console window minimized? If not, it will go down further if minimize it when not viewing it.
No, this is with console window maximized. Just wanted to use those numbers as references. CPU number does of course drop when console is minimized.

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No, this is with console window maximized. Just wanted to use those numbers as references. CPU number does of course drop when console is minimized.

Jaxon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
BI console shows overall CPU usage for all processes. Kind of like the Performance tab in Windows 10's task manager shows overall CPU usage.

You can get breakdowns of individual processes on the Processes and Details tabs of the task manager. I don't 100% trust the Processes tab; it does not always agree with the Details tab, but usually is within a few % points.

Also, particularly when you have hardware acceleration enabled and a bunch of cameras, Blue Iris causes a few % usage in the "System" and "System interrupts" processes.
When it comes to CPU utilization, at least from the Windows Task Manager, keep in mind by default it's showing overall utilization. This can be misleading as it's possible an application can consume 100% of a single core. This app will then be CPU bound, but the overall utilization will show something less than 100%. Not saying this is the case here, but often it's better to look at the logical processors or better yet learn to use Performance monitor.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
When it comes to CPU utilization, at least from the Windows Task Manager, keep in mind by default it's showing overall utilization. This can be misleading as it's possible an application can consume 100% of a single core. This app will then be CPU bound, but the overall utilization will show something less than 100%. Not saying this is the case here, but often it's better to look at the logical processors or better yet learn to use Performance monitor.
Certainly that is true. More insightful information can come from the Performance Monitor, but it is a lot easier to use Process Explorer if all you want to see is the CPU utilization of each individual thread.