Creating flush mount on wood siding

sl0wfi

n3wb
Reaction score
The walls of the house are all open (like new construction) and I would like to place cameras on the outside of the walls. I can not horizontally mount at the soffit because I have open soffits.

- I have wood siding. I would prefer to put the box on the interior, not surface mounted on the exterior.

Is there a recommended box to put in the interior? Is round or single gang preferred? I would like to bring smurf tube to some of the locations, so is a single gang low voltage box OK?

Thanks!

(I will be running two cables for each camera so I have a spare at each location.)

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Riclyo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You’d get a lot more room a 4 11/6” x 2 1/8” box with a round metal mud ring the depth of the siding.

sl0wfi

n3wb
Reaction score
I think the single gang (2" x 3") boxes would be too crowded for the camera's connector and surplus pigtail PLUS a spare cable so I'd go with a 4 square ( 4" x 4", double gang) and then consider the Dahua DH-PFA200G gang box adapter as pictured below and reviewed by @aristobrat here.

DH-PFA200G DATASHEET:

View attachment 54140
Thanks, these look very interesting. I may go this route, but I’m concerned they are not waterproofed or rated for outdoor. The locations are under the soffit, but may get rain on occasion. Also the price seems steep, as they appear to cost more than a box.

sl0wfi

n3wb
Reaction score
You’d get a lot more room a 4 11/6” x 2 1/8” box with a round metal mud ring the depth of the siding.
Would there be a round hole in the siding? Or maybe you are talking about a shape of mud ring I’ve never seen. Can you link an example?

Riclyo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Mount
Garvin 72171-FSW box flush to stud then add mud ring before siding. The depth of the mud ring depends on the depth of the siding. If you want to be fancy you can pipe directly from this box to the attic or basement if you have one. Otherwise your going to want to put a plastic snap in connector like a Arlington 4401 to feed the wire into.

sl0wfi

n3wb
Reaction score
Mount
Garvin 72171-FSW box flush to stud then add mud ring before siding. The depth of the mud ring depends on the depth of the siding. If you want to be fancy you can pipe directly from this box to the attic or basement if you have one. Otherwise your going to want to put a plastic snap in connector like a Arlington 4401 to feed the wire into.
Ok, but the siding is already on. I assume that is fine.

Riclyo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If the siding is on it’ll work but If you haven’t done it before you could wind up cutting a hole or sending a pilot where you don’t want it. Maybe someone else here has a different idea in this situation?