Crows open packages

Maximo101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
did they get food once? maybe they think it's food all the time.
Yes they got food once when our groceries were delivered, we got distracted and didn't bring bags in immediately and they got steak and burgers buns....
After watching Mark Rober and his device dealing with package thieves , I would love to do something to train them away but haven't given it much thought yet

Maximo101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I ordered this spray (picture attached), it had leaked and the entire package was soaked in this spray. I had cut it open and removed the spray, but I was curious if it would deter the crows, i threw it on the step and within 1min this crow was on it.
Didn't seem to deter him, what scared it was me in the window...

Attachments

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What a porch pirate. I wanted to see more of the first video. Does the crow get the prize?
Do you think the crows follow the delivery drivers around the neighorhood? They are pretty smart birds.

Just a thought, can you add a drop box for deliveries?

You can also try the dead crow setup to discourage them. See link below as an example. Supposed to be very effective.
Good luck!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Maximo101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In the first video, no i scared them off. It was a ps4 pdp control and after damaging the package and bubble wrap, they damaged the item box itself, lucky the control was ok.
We bought a drop box for deliveries, but it came damaged... so waiting on replacement.
Yes they are smart and patrol the neighbor hood.
They picked all the mandarins and oranges off our tree, and not looking forward to a few months when our apple and pear trees are full of fruit. Been at this property for 10 years and this year (covid / lockdown) is the first year we have had issues with the crows. There is 4 of them and 1 is massive, an absolute unit.

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Maximo101 - sounds like you need to give that dead crow decoy a try both for the packages, but more so for the orchard. Sounds like you have a nice assortment of citrus and stone fruit. We have about the same: a few apply varieties, avocado, lemon, lime, fig and pomegranite. It's a labor of love fighting off the varmints and dealing with excessive hot temps the last few years and some freezing temps. Keep us posted if you get the crow decoy and if it works. We have lots of crows but never caught them picking off fruit. Other birds do and the bird netting helps. I use stove pipe around the trunks to keep the squirrels off the trees, rats too. Also do some live trapping to thin the herd at strategic times of the year.

Last edited: