crud on lens cover

35s77

Getting the hang of it
Sep 22, 2023
USA
i have two EmpireTech PTZ5A4M-25X 1/1.8" CMOS 4MP 25x Starlight IR Network PTZ Cameras. I noticed a purple haze develop on one of them. Went out to the camera today to see if I had something on the lens cover. I do, and it didnt clean off. Anyone have any idea what this could be? It is tucked under an eve and very much clear of sprinklers. It looks like hard water spots, but dosent wipe off. I was affraid to get too aggressive - I think its plastic. It almost looks like its INSIDE the lens cover, like embedded in the plastic - feels smooth to the touch. It does get morning sun, its facing due east. The other PTZ is facing due west and gets evening sun.

crud.jpg

crud2.jpg

Reactions: mat200
Possibly the anti-glare coating cracking off.

I had that happen on a boobie cam and looked very similar to this. Fortunately it was a dome and was easy to wipe it off.

Reactions: mat200
That’s nasty.
I’d pry the plastics kens cover off and see if it can be cleaned

I think Wittaj is correct in thinking it is a layer of the lens cover itself. Were this water spots or errant paint overspray, it would also appear on the black housing. I don't see it on the housing.
I'm afraid you are going to need to do more aggressive cleaning than any of us like performing. I have not cleaned a plastic PTZ lens cover, but have done so on a badly hazed car rear camera plastic lens cover.

The two products I have had very good success polishing up plastics are...

Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Clear Plastic Cleaner - use this first to remove fine scratches
Meguiar’s Mirror Glaze Clear Plastic Polish - for final mirror optical polish

Both can be used with a microfiber cloth. Use a separate cloth for the two levels of product.

I would first try with the gentler, ultra-fine grit polish and see if that is sufficient.
If more aggressive cleaning is needed, use the cleaner and then finish with the polish.

The cleaner will leave the plastic with a haze. It is the polish that removes that haze.

With the older, glass lens windows, I could go as aggressive as cerium oxide, but that would not be a smart idea for the plastic covers.

For stubborn water spots, I have had improvement with several rounds of an acid etch shower door cleaner (3D Eraser Gel Hard Water Spot Remover), but beware that once you have that level of water spots, the glass window itself is likely surface etched, not merely soiled. You may need cerium oxide to polish out.

I've not tried 3D Eraser Gel on the plastic covers, but the plastic should resist the acid adequately.

OK, makes sense what you are saying about, if it were paint overspray or hard water it would also be on the black part. The camera is less than a year old. Do you think I should contact seller? I did notice right away with this PTZ the internal reflections were much worse than the other, identical PTZ camera I got from them.

I mean, if there is no warranty, or its less than a year, maybe I would try cleaning it, but it being plastic, I fear its only going to make it worse.

Possibly the anti-glare coating cracking off.

I had that happen on a boobie cam and looked very similar to this. Fortunately it was a dome and was easy to wipe it off.
did it wipe off the inside? or the outside?

It is, just an adhesive. You'd have to use a blade and re-seal it. I've done it with others.