Cuda required?

heyho

n3wb
Reaction score
So apologies for my second numpty question but I am getting my head around all these components.

My system had a Gt710 card installed with BI and Codeproject AI running. Within Codeproject AI I had Yolov5.NET running and it would only run in CPU mode, which I understand given the spec of the card. Anyway I have just installed a GTX970 card and without any further changes to Codeproject it automatically showed GPU (DirectML) with YOLOv5.NET. Thought I would try installing YOLOv8 and that is working fine and showing GPU (CUDA).

To setup the card I installed the GPU Tweak utility and then the NVidia drivers (ver 555.99). nothing else.

That means I have not installed the CUDA Toolkit (11.7.1 seems to be preferred) or cuDNN (8.9.4). What benefits would I get installing these components?

heyho

n3wb
Reaction score
Just an update on this.

I had YOLOv8 running for around 24 hours. Working fine, no errors whatsoever, but I did check all the alerts and I felt it wasn't classifying them very well compared to YOLOv5.NET i.e. a person was being identified but classified as a car whilst YOLOv5.NET was showing person (or car + person). I've just switched to YOLOv5 6.2 and this seems to behave the same as YOLOv5.NET so seeing as it is using GPU(CUDA) rather than YOLOv5.NET GPU(DirectML).

So much better with the 'new' GT710 graphics card I can tell you.