custom applications, OnVIF, soap xml etc

Ron C

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello,

is there a forum that discusses "custom applications", and how to write code, use OnVIF soap/xml etc etc?

I am writing my own application, yeah it's crazy, but just because I can. The interface is web based, but the codes running are C programs that captures images, records, detects motion etc.

The next step that I am trying to implement is to change the motion detection grid "on demand". For example, I notice that at night the "edges" seem to have spider webs/threads or so that reflect the IR light, and a light breeze constantly sets the motion detection off.
Also, with good winds, trees just move too much etc. I am thinking of writing something adaptive, where I can say something like .. there is a tree in thse cells, and if it is windy, I turn those cells "off"

That is further down the line. for now I just want to figure out how to set that patter. I can see that the grid is 22x18, with getcapibilities. I read that the cell being active or not active is done by sending a string of 0's and 1's

Any ideas?

thanks,

Ron

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Good luck! Sounds like an awesome fun project. I am just starting to learn how to program the Arduino. I have a couple of projects in mind - nothing like the scope you want to do :) Please keep updating your progress.

Ron C

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
thanks, I have actually been ding that for a good long while.

I never tried to do anything with an Arduino,
Are you building a camera yourself?

I tried to use a raspberry pi, it sort of worked on the rpi, but bandwidth is an issue (I think). The interface I have is web based, which is easy to build/update but all the work is done with a few Linux daemons. The main daemon runs one thread per camera (I have 10, 9 IP cameras and a doorbel)

Originally I started it because I wanted to use these cameras, (and also motion sensors, wifi enabled outlets etc) but without that stuff getting out on the internet. Then one thing led to another.. lol. I just started with little things like, write a program that could capture a still, then something that could open a stream. I use gstreamer to stream.

For all interaction with the cameras etc, I use curl, libcurl to be precise, all the things I wrote are coded in C and run as daemons (a service in systemd, with systemctl) on Centos (basically a RHEL, RedHat clone/distro). It's a hobby to "hack" these cameras a bit. Even though Onvif is an open standard, there is very little to find. The forums and mailing lists you can only be part of when you pay an "entry level" fee of $10k a year, which is just a little too much for a hobby.

Here's a screenshot. The left 2 windows are popups, for looking at events and for looking at archived events. The window on the right is the "main" window. (I turned two cameras off, so it is not immediately clear where I am :) )

So anyway, long story short. I am looking for people interested in writing code to access these Onvif "things", wondered if there was a forum interested in that.

Ron

Attachments

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sorry Ron, I can't be any help to you other than being a cheerleader. I am just learning C now. My intended uses have nothing to do with cameras - at least not yet. I am more interested in measurement, event tracking and data logging.

Ron C

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry Ron, I can't be any help to you other than being a cheerleader. I am just learning C now. My intended uses have nothing to do with cameras - at least not yet. I am more interested in measurement, event tracking and data logging.
Ah, I have been coding in C for a long while, since school, almost 40 years. Data logging I do (I built a seismograph doing that), event tracking, motion events from cameras and IR sensors, playing with that. Besides that.. I have always been involved in computing.

What do you mean by measurement?

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ah, I have been coding in C for a long while, since school, almost 40 years. Data logging I do (I built a seismograph doing that), event tracking, motion events from cameras and IR sensors, playing with that. Besides that.. I have always been involved in computing.

What do you mean by measurement?
quite simple stuff Ron. My 1st project is related to my standby generator. We are too far away from the street / neighbors to know when power has been restored (I have a manual changeover switch). So. . . I am going to install 2 12 volt transformers inside the switch itself (it about 2' X 3'). From there I'm going to rectify the voltage and make the Arduino a voltmeter. I plan on logging the voltage of the genset and when the street power is restored for at least "X" seconds send a lan message to me. I will probably add Hz monitoring after I get the basic unit working.

After that I want to install an Arduino in my outdoor 'boxes' where I have switches installed. I have several cameras in the woods to monitor the animals in the neighborhood. There are enclosures for voltage dropping devices as well as the switches themselves. I want to monitor the voltages (48 volts in, 12v out), current draw and temperatures inside and outside the box.

All really basic stuff. After I get comfy writing in C I am sure I'll think of a 100 projects to do - the first will be a push button start and monitoring of my diesel generator. In 1976 I started with an 8008 and then an 8080, programming in machine language (with switches). I finally bought an assembler and thought that was heaven :)

Ron C

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
quite simple stuff Ron. My 1st project is related to my standby generator. We are too far away from the street / neighbors to know when power has been restored (I have a manual changeover switch). So. . . I am going to install 2 12 volt transformers inside the switch itself (it about 2' X 3'). From there I'm going to rectify the voltage and make the Arduino a voltmeter. I plan on logging the voltage of the genset and when the street power is restored for at least "X" seconds send a lan message to me. I will probably add Hz monitoring after I get the basic unit working.

After that I want to install an Arduino in my outdoor 'boxes' where I have switches installed. I have several cameras in the woods to monitor the animals in the neighborhood. There are enclosures for voltage dropping devices as well as the switches themselves. I want to monitor the voltages (48 volts in, 12v out), current draw and temperatures inside and outside the box.

All really basic stuff. After I get comfy writing in C I am sure I'll think of a 100 projects to do - the first will be a push button start and monitoring of my diesel generator. In 1976 I started with an 8008 and then an 8080, programming in machine language (with switches). I finally bought an assembler and thought that was heaven :)
That sound like a cool couple of projects, I like doing those kind of things too. I have an RPI that turns on/off outlets and light switches. and it does that by adjusting to the times of sunset/sunrise. So I am not using these timers that constantly need to be adjusted.

So the purpose of the arduino is to see if power has been restored? Maybe it doesn't work for you, but wemo makes these so called" smart plugs, and when you plug them in they boot and connect to the network. Th same thing of course for power coming back on. They are wireless.

When power has been restored, you could check and see if the "smart plug" is up and connected, because if it isn't, it would not be on the wireless LAN

I use them, I have two cameras at my barn, and I can turn them/restart them, by turning those smarplugs off and on, instead of walking over to the barn.

update: also, if you did some 8008 and 8080 programmin, C would be pretty easy. I assume you did ASM with those?

Last edited: