CVI/TVI capture card for Blue Iris?

Reaction score
I have a friend that owns a restaurant. They have RG59 cameras and a really old system. He is wanting to put in better security system. If he had it to do from scratch, I think that using POE cameras everywhere would be better. Since this is an old building and the RG59 is already run, running new cables everywhere will be extremely difficult. They had a drop ceiling originally, but put drywall on it and now it is not easily accessible.

I was thinking that a hybrid system would be a better fit for him. Where he could use his old analog cameras in some locations, replace them with TVI cameras in others, and run CAT-5 to any new location. Maybe something like a Hikvision iDS-7316HUHI-M4/S.

So my question is if Blue Iris can work in a system with a mix of Analog, TVI, and IP cameras? Are their video capture cards that can be installed in a PC to capture the TVI and analog inputs?

Is Blue Iris a good choice for these types of hybrid systems?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
IMO, it would a lot cheaper to use a DVR as a analog-to-digital encoder and send its video to Blue Iris. I've done it with CVBS analog cams on DVRs from Night Owl, Zmodo and others.

A TVI, CVI DVR may work just as well. Then with BI you'd also be set to connect to POE IP cams with a POE switch.

IMO, BI is just so much more flexible and configurable.