Da New Guy

Scooter

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Folks,:peaceful:

I'm new to your forum and see lots of great information here.

I was running an old analog cam for many years and had my own windows XP FTP server uploading a picture to my website. I got hacked! The computer I was using was a real old slow machine and running Conquer Cam was just about all it could handle much less a fire wall and other tools I should have had. It came to a HALT at least once a week.

So I'm searching for a new "IP" cam. Bought a Hikvision DS-2CD2732F-IS Dome cam because info said it would do FTP .. sure works.. but won't allow me to name the upload. (??) My first post will be about trying to find a cam after I do a lot of reading and searching on your Forum.

The Cam I bought is now a security cam.. and the 65Gig mini SD sure holds a lot of video. Works great! I'm sure I'll find my answer...

Website is Sunlitedreams.com if your interested folks.

Scooter

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting view. I also was a bit frustrated that Hikvision's FTP uploader won't let you specify the file name. You have to use 3rd party software (on a PC) to pull images and do the FTP if you want control over the file name! Blue Iris is a good choice for that.

Scooter

n3wb
Reaction score
HI bp,
I was hoping to find a cam that would do all that for me and not involve another PC. I did find the following site . .. and if you go down the page to "IP Camera's and FTP" and the second paragraph it describes just what I want. LInk: http://camsecure.co.uk/Camsecure_FTP.html (I don't recognize the camera make or brands from this vendor)

But I have found that some Acti cameras offer some kind of Naming control. I just can't figure out just how to do it.. and this time I want to know before I buy. check this out... and you'll see the Ftp upload control under "Web Configurator" http://www.networkcameracritic.com/?p=2254

I was sorry to hear that the author of that last link had passed away. It was a very good information site. My heartfelt condolences go out to his family.

Scooter
NOTE: I should have put this in another Thread I think instead of the Newbe to the Forum zone.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like ACTi does it right. I happen to have a pair of ACTi E77 cameras (don't buy this model; the image quality is bad at native resolution) so I screenshotted the naming rules page for you.

Scooter

n3wb
Reaction score
Great bp,

The name of the file my webcam java script needs is Webcam0.jpg I don't think it has any of the other tag info (??) so can it just go as a (name).jpg with out the time stamps and other stuff?

Thanks for that page.

Scooter

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes. It would be able to do that.

Though if your web server is halfway decent, a simple ASP.NET or PHP script could make your site work with Hikvision's more limited FTP capability. I know that Hikvision includes a timestamp in the file name so it won't replace old images on your server. You'd just need a page like "LatestImage.php" and it would be coded to find the most recent image that was uploaded. The same page could attempt to delete older images so your web server doesn't fill up.

Scooter

n3wb
Reaction score
I've seen web cam pages that do that. I could redesign my page for that if I can find the code for it. I haven't seen anything on Hikvision's website that has webpage code. I've got lots of space on my host's HD for pics as long as it doesn't go overboard. I've seen websites that allow you to play back the last bunch of pics as an "movie". Good ideas. I'm sure not bound to my current code and Java scripts.

I just have to look for new code that would work..

You mentioned that the image quality wasn't up to par on that ACTi cam you had. Could you suggest a better one to try?

Scooter

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That is the only ACTi model I ever bought. Only got them because they are supposed to be 10 megapixel. The problem was they really seem to be lower resolution, upscaled so much that a 3 MP Hikvision produces comparable image quality. I don't know of a brand with better FTP support though.

What type of code can your web server run? If it is ASP.NET I might be able to write the code for you to make it work with Hikvision cams. Sounds like fun.