Dahaua cams for a BI and Bosch PIR setup

isbjerg84

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi

For my farm I am looking for a suggestions for cams to use with a Blue Iris setup.

On my parents farm I have a setup with synology NAS and Hikvision cams. However I a not happy with the fake motion random detections. I need a setup with a PIR and a cam with an alarm input. It seems that Dahaua has the best selection of cams with alarm input)

After reading this forum I would like to have a setup for my farm with BI and Bosch Blue Line Gen2 TriTech Motion Detector. I can read that I need to wire the PIR into alarm input for the cam.

I already know that I need three cams and 1 PIR motion detector (there is only one long driveway to the farm) and it splits into two roads.

One of the cams shall be a 8mm and the two other shall be 4mm. ( I have already tested this with the cams from my parents farm)

I don't know Dahaua very well. I can see that many of the Dahaua cams are either 4mm,6mm or varifocal.
I have spend a bit of time on the Dahaua website and this are the suggestions that I found:

1 x 3MP HFW8331E 2.8 to 12mm focus (also recommended in the forum, I have read the thread :) )

2 x 2 MP IPC-HDW5231R-Z 2.8 to 12mm focus

I am looking in the price range 100~250$, shipping for Europe and they need to have a alarm input for the Bosch Blue Line Gen2 Standard PIR Motion Detectors

I hope that you can give some input for the camera selection .. just write if I need to add other informations to get points for some good cams ( They can also be cheaper than the cams I have found)

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Watch out that you do not take the cheap indoor bosch ones. You need ip65 version when installed outside, they have a pir outdoor modell i found, perhaps also radar. But that one was also quite expensive.

I just ordered an optex vxi-dam unit for 106€ and 13€ shipping from italy (ebay) locally they cost double that.
I choose the optex for the looks and the reputation of the brand.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Your going to need to look at the box bullets, they are the ones w/AlarmIO.. I would suggest the: IPC-HFW5231E-Z

unfortunately nobody makes Turrets w/Alarm IO

isbjerg84

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the help.. I have been looking for the IPC-HFW5231E-Z but it seems to be very new. Only one reseller on Aliexpress.. Is there an alternative for this cam (with alarm input) ?

#Edit " I found this cam , will it work ? IPC-HFW4421D-AS( It does not have vari focus)

I am going to ordrer
2 x IPC-HDW5231R-Z
1 x VXI-DAM
1 x NVR5208-8P-4KS2 ( Seems to be the newest NVR ip recordere from Dahua)
Some brackets and a POE switch, depending on the NVR recorder

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a 4421D-AS I just installed a few months back; and its going to be yanked down and replaced with one of these new ones before the year is up..

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Can you describe better where you want to apply the pir sensor ?

The VXI-Dam i ordered is only good for like 12 meters maximal and has 90 degree angle with optional masks to limit the angle, and options to limit the distance it detects (pir and radar)

Installation height is also a bit low, perhaps 1.2-1.8 meter heigh.

So if you want to mount a pir high up, long detection distance, the VXI-DAM might not be the right one..
You can check the polish site napad.pl where they list the complete optex range for not to bad prices.
At least much cheaper than the ripoff prices here in Netherlands.

Ebay could have better prices on some models though..

isbjerg84

n3wb
Reaction score
I think 12 meters is perfect for the application I will used them for. I need two PIR to cover around a barn. See attached pictures.

( I also know that many of you in this forum will say that I need more cams for the farm... but to a start I will just like to know which cars are entering and leaving the farm :) )

Attachments

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you go for the nvr from dahua, you can add the sensor to the nvr and than have that flag activity on the timeline. I think on a farm it might be wise to solve it with a good sensor as you likely have lots of animals wondering around.
Getting alerts on every bird, cat, rat, dog, rabbit or whatever walks around will not be helpfull if you are interested in people only.

So you can record 24x7 and have only the sensor alerts on the timeline so you can jump into them easy. If you need images around that, you will have to use manual mode..

Perhaps check the pdf files of optex carefully
VXI series: http://www.optex-europe.com/cms/documents/PDS - VXI-series.pdf
LX402: http://www.optex-europe.com/cms/documents/LX-402_802N.pdf

Bosch seems to have the modell OD850 for outside use.
OD850 Series Outdoor TriTech Detectors

Bosch one IP54 &(first 5 is dust proof, 2nd 4 is splashing of water)
Optex is IP55 (dust proof and water jet proof)

For IP numbers see: IP Code - Wikipedia

Since optex VXI is to be installed lower (0.8 – 1.2 meter high) the higher rating might be needed.
The Bosch is to be installed between 2.1 - 2.7 meter high.

Last edited:

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for the help.. I have been looking for the IPC-HFW5231E-Z but it seems to be very new. Only one reseller on Aliexpress.. Is there an alternative for this cam (with alarm input) ?

#Edit " I found this cam , will it work ? IPC-HFW4421D-AS( It does not have vari focus)

I am going to ordrer
2 x IPC-HDW5231R-Z
1 x VXI-DAM
1 x NVR5208-8P-4KS2 ( Seems to be the newest NVR ip recordere from Dahua)
Some brackets and a POE switch, depending on the NVR recorder
This nvr already has 8 ports POE ports. But if the cameras is bit far away then buy the nvr without POE and buy a POE switch. This can save some money.
This model also has 16 ports POE version: NVR5216-16P-4KS2.
I will show guys for the difference of all dahua diferent series. Then can buy a best one for you.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i own this pir detector.i have the sensor knob all the way down.sensor knob can be tweaked i think from 30 to 50 feet.i didnt want the knob all the way up because it will detect every car passing through the street lol.i just wanted cars/people coming into the driveway.took a look at the pdf booklet it'll give u an idea on how it works.i bought mine for $74 off of amazon.it was worth every penny.i made like a little covering for it so it wont get wet.just dont cover the sensor area.

OD850‑F1 Outdoor TriTech Detector (10.525 GHz)

http://resource.boschsecurity.us/documents/Bosch_OD850_Installation_Manual_all_2627312395.pdf

isbjerg84

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the help, the Bosch sensor looks really good and easier to get a europa and the Dahua catalog help in understanding their camera/NVR range. It has really been a good help :)

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the PIR ? I guess that is just a 2 core wire directly from the Dahau NVR to the NC/C .. ( And separat power supply for the internal supply)
Similar to this Dahua Wiki ( But opposite since it is a input)