Dahua 12mp Vs Hik 3mp Comprison

MR2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
12mp http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t370/mgoodwinmr2/12mp_zps8oaksylr.png

3mp http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t370/mgoodwinmr2/3mp_zpsc5a1t6ug.png

such a difference, try zooming in on the image...

at the moment the 3mp 2332's we've been getting for around $85 USD, the 12mp (hdbw81200e-z) was $600 USD, I have found a way to knock around $100 off that, the Dahua with the ability to auto focus and zoom is about the only thing that comes anywhere near what we are after with regards to a 4:3 resolution, reasonable price and reasonable night vision... almost all the other options on the market are either 4k (which is just over 8mp) 16:9, or only go to an 80 degree or under angle at their widest (and that's after you exclude those with sensors that are ridiculously small 1/2.3"

ideally if Hik can get their head out of the 4k stuff and back into 4:3 with some really good EXIR sensors and fit it all into an eyeball so the lens does not get the night reflection of the IR... maybe in a few years

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Is it possible to see this 12MP cam without any lights on?

vincenttor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Great image !
wonder what it does in the dark as well.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
and that's after you exclude those with sensors that are ridiculously small 1/2.3"
What makes 1/2.3" ridiculously small? It is larger than a 3mp sensor that is 1/3"...

You are right though about the image quality difference between the Dahua 12mp and the Hikvision 3mp. However I suspect the 3MP snapshot was taken from considerably lower bit rate video. Either that or the lens just isn't very good compared to the 12MP dahua.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
2332 does look a bit fuzzy when zoomed out. I know the 12mp will obviously be much better when zooming in but on a 1080p screen there shouldn't be that kind of difference.

Thanks for comparison!

MR2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
the 2332 has a fixed lens that is factory locked into what they consider the perfect zoom, it's about as sharp as the rest of them that we have (loads of them) it could have had a small amount of dust on the lens (though it's aimed downwards so not too much)

the demo cam (12mp) has moved location, so here are shots from the cam it replaced (this time the 3mp is a Geovision BX320D1 if I remember correctly)

12mp night http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t370/mgoodwinmr2/12mp night.jpg_zpsidp5p9ur.png
3mp night http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t370/mgoodwinmr2/3mp night.jpg_zpsn6f5621l.png

Day shots

12mp Day http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t370/mgoodwinmr2/12mp front daytime.jpg_zpsvnae188p.png
3mp Day http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t370/mgoodwinmr2/3mp front daytime.jpg_zpss0eaqagg.png

Last edited by a moderator:

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. To me night vision on 12MP is less impressive then day performance I've seen, unless it's running at some lower bitrate or something else.

MR2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
you know... your right, I just realized the bitrate was locked down to 4096

I'll open it up and see how it goes... will also see what difference unlocking it makes in Milestone

Edit: changed it but I can't really tell a difference, we only record at 8fps so it's not a huge difference in what Milestone is seeing either

Last edited by a moderator:

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
You will probably need to run at max bitrate for 12MP to shine with H264.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The 12 MP does look pretty nice at daytime I think. I wouldn't mind having one but I got to wait till that price goes down.

spixel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The 3mp hikvisions are only good in the bright outdoors imo. Once you bring them into low lux environments, they turn into a blurry mess pretty quickly.

MR2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Compared to other 3mp we played with (Geovision and Security Cam 2000, Visiontek) they are awesome, nothing even four times it's price is that much better from what I've played with

spixel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Compared to other 3mp we played with (Geovision and Security Cam 2000, Visiontek) they are awesome, nothing even four times it's price is that much better from what I've played with
Outdoors maybe. But honestly the 3mp sample you posted looks extremely fuzzy, there's no detail or sharpness in even close objects. Here's a comparison between a 2mp and 3mp hikvision. You can see that the 3mp is worse because once there's not much light, it loses all detail. Both are taken at same FOV so the 3mp has the pixels per inch advantage, my cropping skills are just bad!

hikvomppare.png

MR2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
it does not really look like a fair comparison since the bottom one is considerably more zoomed in? I wonder if it's due to the lens being closer to focused from factory or Sensor size?

the 3mp I posted (second sample) is from a Geovision, which I spent heaps of time attempting to focus but never felt it was right even though it's a fujinon lens and I had a high def laptop up in the lifter with me, honestly most of the time what we need is what is going on in the reasonably well lit factories and outdoor area's

spixel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
it does not really look like a fair comparison since the bottom one is considerably more zoomed in? I wonder if it's due to the lens being closer to focused from factory or Sensor size?

the 3mp I posted (second sample) is from a Geovision, which I spent heaps of time attempting to focus but never felt it was right even though it's a fujinon lens and I had a high def laptop up in the lifter with me, honestly most of the time what we need is what is going on in the reasonably well lit factories and outdoor area's
It's not more zoomed in, just resized/cropped them differently. The 3mp hikvisions are definitely great cameras, just not in all environments.

Here's the 2 videos I got the crops from, just noticed now that the 3mp is actually set to 2mp, but you can still tell the sensor is worse in this condition.

MR2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
yeah I guess, I wonder if they played with the sharpness setting or something, either way interesting stuff that the 2 is better than the three