Dahua Active Deterrence

auzzzie

n3wb
Reaction score
Does anyone know if it's possible to interface with the Dahua Active Deterrence features (strobe, audible alarm) from Blue Iris? It's commonly stated not use to Dahua IVS for Intrusion/Tripwire since Blue Iris can do a better job, however I can't see a way to trigger these active deterrence items from Blue Iris which makes having to use IVS necessary for those items.

Any input is appreciated, the camera in question is a IPC-HDW5541H-AS-PV

Possibly via the API? I've been unable to find any mention of these features in the API references I've managed to find though.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You have to do that within the camera GUI. Whether it is BI or an NVR, most here will also tell you to set that up through the specific camera GUI as well. It is not possible to do it from within BI, and any attempts of trying to set it up from within an NVR from my understanding are hit or miss, but I am sure if someone has had success with an NVR setup they will chime in.

So for my active deterrence camera, I have set up the IVS rules within the camera GUI itself to trigger the strobe and audible alarm. Then in BI, you simply either tell it to pull the ONVIF triggers to record based on camera settings, or you simply let BI use its motion settings and parameter you set to record. In my case, the two-way talk did not work using the pulled ONVIF trigger configuration, so the camera is doing it's own thing for active deterrence, and BI is recording its own thing.

I then also use the on Alert function from another camera in BI to send an API alert to send off the audible alarm, so if someone is coming around my house, I can have another camera trigger the active deterrence before the person gets to the backyard in hopes that maybe they turn around.

auzzzie

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. That's kind of what I figured I'd have to do, keep them separate. I record 24/7 anyway it's more around being able to control (on/off) the strobe/audible. Could you give me some additional details on your 3rd paragraph there? It sounds like you are turning off the audible alarm via the camera API. That is exactly one of the things I want to be able to do, just not sure how to go about it.

Thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
When I said "send off the audible alarm", I meant have the alarm sound.

So if there are times you do not want the active deterrence to operate, you would create and set that up within the time schedule of the camera GUI.

Maybe someone else has figured out a way to do that within BI as well. You can do a lot with geofencing and profile schedules within BI and I am sure you could set up an API code to turn those features off on the camera during a specific schedule profile within BI and then have them turn back on with a different profile. I haven't had a need to do that yet for my situation and location, but I am fairly sure it can be done.

auzzzie

n3wb
Reaction score
Ahh ok, makes sense. What I'm trying to achieve is a ruleset where it doesn't sound/alert for me (geofence) but does or random people, which requires more functionality/automation than you can achieve within the camera GUI itself, hence hoping to find a way to trigger on/off of the strobe/alarm for the camera, from outside the camera via API or some other means.

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You can use CURL to make API calls to Dahua cameras. Could you just build a script that runs as an alert when triggered? that sounds like what @wittaj is doing.

What I'm trying to achieve is a ruleset where it doesn't sound/alert for me (geofence) but does or random people,
Not sure geofence is entirely your friend here because it won't alert when you are home and asleep. Maybe run three profiles with three different alert options?, Out, home and usually awake, home and usually in bed.

auzzzie

n3wb
Reaction score
Bringing this back. Since I haven't got a working method to turn active deterrence on and off externally from the camera web interface yet, I was going to rely on the schedule. For some unknown and unintelligent reason, Dahua has tied the schedule only to the strobe, you can't control the siren. So the siren is either always on or not on. Makes it pretty useless as you can't even set a "trigger after x time" time period like you can on the Hikvisions.

Not a lot of thought put behind this one.

1605822307272.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@auzzzie - You can send an API to turn it on and off - it is a little trial and error since they don't publish the API docs.

The siren schedule is at the top of the screenshot above but you chopped it off. You can absolutely set the schedule for the siren to not come on during certain hours.

The setting below the light you reference is to allow you to not have the light come on during the day time if that is your choice.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@auzzzie - You can send an API to turn it on and off - it is a little trial and error since they don't publish the API docs.

The siren schedule is at the top of the screenshot above but you chopped it off. You can absolutely set the schedule for the siren to not come on during certain hours.

The setting below the light you reference is to allow you to not have the light come on during the day time if that is your choice.
Hey I got the active deterrance 3449 from Andy but I cannot get it to play a message through milestone even though I seem to have it configured.

Also through IVS Object Filter Human I cannot get it to play the strobe or an alarm.

Can you advise please ? How did you get the API thing to work ?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Did you turn smart plan and IVS on as well? You also need to make sure that you have checked the boxes for the sound and light at the bottom of the IVS screen.

And under camera you need to select AUDIO and select which sound you want.

Here is the API for the sound:

USER:pASSWORD@IP ADDRESS/cgi-bin/coaxialControlIO.cgi?action=control&channel=1&info[0].Type=2&info[0].IO=1

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
LOL why does it take the : with the p in password and change it to an emoji lol

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
So far as I can tell from my camera when playing around with it is you set everything in the cameras interface. Beyond that if it triggers record, BI records. BI doesn't need to trigger the strobe or light, that all happens within the camera automatically when recording is triggered if those features are selected. The options for the camera if triggered are pretty much record, record + light, record + light and strobe, record + light, strobe and audio, with a few extras such as setting timed parameter eg duration and time of day. Everything is automatic upon the camera being triggered to record. The NVR / recording program doesn't need to trigger anything other than the camera to record. The extra features are triggered alongside the camera by the camera.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So far as I can tell from my camera when playing around with it is you set everything in the cameras interface. Beyond that if it triggers record, BI records. BI doesn't need to trigger the strobe or light, that all happens within the camera automatically when recording is triggered if those features are selected. The options for the camera if triggered are pretty much record, record + light, record + light and strobe, record + light, strobe and audio, with a few extras such as setting timed parameter eg duration and time of day. Everything is automatic upon the camera being triggered to record. The NVR / recording program doesn't need to trigger anything other than the camera to record. The extra features are triggered alongside the camera by the camera.
My setup is different I guess. I record 24/7. I'm using milestone not BI btw. I'll keep tinkering I'm probably missing something.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know about milestone, but in BI I needed to use the API as using another camera to trigger this cam only triggered an motion alert in BI on the camera but since it cannot talk to the camera, the light and voice didn't come on. So if you use the API above and insert it into whatever on trigger option exists in milestone, you will have it.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I don't know about milestone, but in BI I needed to use the API as using another camera to trigger this cam only triggered an motion alert in BI on the camera but since it cannot talk to the camera, the light and voice didn't come on. So if you use the API above and insert it into whatever on trigger option exists in milestone, you will have it.
I already use dahua metadata plugin for milestone. Maybe it's the same thing ? Milestone is confusing man. Overly complex lol but hey its free!