Dahua best cam 2021? (Now 2023!)

Abula

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you want the next level low light performance, I believe the 1/1.2" 4mp is the way to go, at least until we get 35mm sensors!
I only seen the 1/1.2'' senson on 2x hikvision 8mp cameras, i haven't seen use that sensor elsewhere, do you have any links/model to a 4mp 1/1.2 camera?

Sunfox

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So, it's 2023 now - and I'm moving to a new house, so it's time for an all-new camera system!

Two years ago I added two of the IPC-T5442TM-AS to my system and they've been doing very well (although I think the microphone quality was better on the HDW5231R-ZE). But I'm looking to see what current models match these parameters:
  • Best cost to performance (not super expensive, but not cheap either)
  • As high resolution as possible without sacrificing sensitivity
  • Top notch IR and night vision - assume no outdoor or street lighting
  • Built-in microphone
  • Turret with fixed ~2.8mm lens is fine
Also, quite a few years ago I bought the SD49225T-HN PTZ. It's been a buggy, crashy, locking-up mess, but I've kinda got it to the point where it works 99% of the time and no longer requires my manual intervention to get working again (except maybe once or twice a year).

But is there a current "budget" PTZ with decent zoom?

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Fortunately for you the 5442 series is still the best camera to meet your needs.

The 5442 series is still the most recommended camera here, especially since you said you need infrared capabilities.

There is a 4K/X model out, but it needs light or be willing to use the built-in white LED (on all night not a motion light) and it cannot see infrared.

The budget PTZ would be in the $400-$450 range and would be the 49425 or mini-PTZ.

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
IPC-HFW5442T-ASE-NI is 4mp with a 1/1.8" sensor the 8MP DS-2CD2T87G2-L is 8mp 4k with a 1/1.2" sensor so I would say pretty close till you start to zoom in a little is where the 8mp will win win for detail and impressed with how little motion blur with the settings shown.

(2) Hikvision 8MP ColourVu Camera Day & Night Footage Review - YouTube
I used to like DVS security camera reviews on their youtube channel. But they've got kind of lazy now and just do their open box and testing inside their office. I don't like indoor testing of security cameras because can't learn much from it. And you still don't have a feel what it will looks like outside.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I only seen the 1/1.2'' senson on 2x hikvision 8mp cameras, i haven't seen use that sensor elsewhere, do you have any links/model to a 4mp 1/1.2 camera?
I believe the 4Kx and 4kT use that sensor. Search for the reviews threads on here.

Sunfox

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There is a 4K/X model out, but it needs light or be willing to use the built-in white LED (on all night not a motion light) and it cannot see infrared.

The budget PTZ would be in the $400-$450 range and would be the 49425 or mini-PTZ.
So, the 4K model definitely requires ambient light? The house is in a new rural development on largish lots, and I’m not sure there will be streetlights. Lots of moonlight, though, since there’s like zero trees around. I’m happy with the 5442, but you can never have too much resolution. The difference between it and my older 1080P cameras is quite noticeable.

That PTZ definitely looks like the current version of my old one. The higher resolution will be appreciated. Is it more stable?

GentlePumpkin

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
4K-X is a massive upgrade from the 5442. I recently bought a Hikvision 2cd-2387g2-lsu/sl (8MP, ca. 180USD on Aliexpress ) [or 2cd-2347g2-lsu/sl (4MP ca. 130USD on Ali) which is similar]. The Hik is a bit better because the built-in white led can be automatically enabled/disabled and the noise reduction/video compression is much better than the choppy stuff on the 4k-X I own.

Rule of thumb: if you're outside at night and you can see your surrounding relatively well, the color camera will produce a decent color image of that scene. If you practically see nothing, the cam won't either. You still can turn on the led, even LED set to 15% will produce a good color image.

I have little ambient light, so I chose a slow shutter to catch motion and then let the Hik turn on the LED. The shutter then runs faster, the image has no ghosting and I practically added a motion activated light to my home with this cam. One important tip is to reduce the contrast to 35, it will produce a bright and clear image.

Last edited:

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
4K-X is a massive upgrade from the 5442. I recently bought a Hikvision 2cd-2387lsu/sl (8MP, ca. 180USD on Aliexpress ) [or 2cd-2347lsu/sl (4MP ca. 130USD on Ali) which is similar]. The Hik is a bit better because the built-in white led can be automatically enabled/disabled and the noise reduction/video compression is much better than the choppy stuff on the 4k-X I own.

Rule of thumb: if you're outside at night and you can see your surrounding relatively well, the color camera will produce a decent color image of that scene. If you practically see nothing, the cam won't either. You still can turn on the led, even LED set to 5% will produce a good color image.

I have little ambient light, so I chose a slow shutter to catch motion and then let the Hik turn on the LED. The shutter then runs faster, the image has no ghosting and I practically added a motion activated light to my home with this cam. One important tip is to reduce the contrast to 35, it will produce a bright and clear image.
Can you post some sample video?

GentlePumpkin

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
sorry, currently not. I took this from a review at amazon.com:
The hv407 shows what a well optimized image of the mentioned cam looks with full moonlight.
hv421 has leds turned on, I guess 60%.

1676165531300.png

many of the night images that look like daylight are wrong optimized ( too slow shutter, results in ghosting when there is actual motion). Hv407 and hv421 have a shutter of 1/25 or 1/50, which is okay if you set it to turn leds on 100% if motion is detected (to get a crisp image).

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Sunfox

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is there a reason why those cameras are choosing to use visible light illumination instead of IR? It seems a bit weird that my cameras would be constantly illuminating my exterior all night long.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
One reason is probably because these cameras have got larger so there isn't room for mechanical IR filter movement and IR light IF they want to keep it as small as possible.

And you probably don't gain as much going from the 5442 with infrared as you would with this one in infrared.

The beauty of the 4K/X is the color, but it does need some white light.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Is there a reason why those cameras are choosing to use visible light illumination instead of IR? It seems a bit weird that my cameras would be constantly illuminating my exterior all night long.
It's been shown that people recognise people from Colour image much better than from B&W. So the holy grail is to run colour day and night.

You shouldn't need a lot of light to get a decent picture with a 4k X / T. One way could be a dusk to dawn light with an LED bulb. You could start with somethigna round 6W / 800 lumen and move up from there if insufficient light. 6W won't cost much to run even over 10 hrs.

An alternative to a permanently on light, is a flood light and PIR. The downside here is there may be a slight delay in the camera adapting from the light coming on. One way around this is to get the pir to detect the motion further out. However, many of the latest cameras adapt very quickly to a change in light so minimise the issue. The advantage of a floodlight is you can have much more light without fear of the bill as it's only on for a few minutes. The downsides are adaption time (already explained), and the fact that if the subject goes out of the PIR's motion detection area (eg under it) and the light switches off, the camera will be blind again. You could use a combination of built in LED + flood both on motion triggers to leave some light should the flood go out, but that's beyond my knowledge as to how to trigger that. I'm guessing trip wires in the camera or AI subject tracking.

GentlePumpkin

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A flood light that smoothly fades in would be ideal, I've been looking for something like that for a while.

Sunfox

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Three quick questions:
  1. How's the T5842 versus the T5442? I saw a review comparing these and the sharpness seems stellar, and night IR performance... similar? Though it's hard to tell.
  2. For these cams, are there ever feature differences between the vari-focal and fixed lens versions? The price difference can be fairly high, and since I'm looking more for general perimeter coverage of a rural house (which is going to take 8 cameras minimum) vs monitoring of a driveway, I almost never wish I had more zoom while setting them up. Perhaps when I want to see something after the fact, but that's why I'm looking for the resolution.
  3. I'm in something of disbelief that the NVR5216-16P-4KS2E is still a current model NVR (mine's from 2018). While I have no real complaints with mine, it's being left with my current house and I was expecting something a bit newer for the new house... IS there a newer model?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Three quick questions:
  1. How's the T5842 versus the T5442? I saw a review comparing these and the sharpness seems stellar, and night IR performance... similar? Though it's hard to tell.
  2. For these cams, are there ever feature differences between the vari-focal and fixed lens versions? The price difference can be fairly high, and since I'm looking more for general perimeter coverage of a rural house (which is going to take 8 cameras minimum) vs monitoring of a driveway, I almost never wish I had more zoom while setting them up. Perhaps when I want to see something after the fact, but that's why I'm looking for the resolution.
  3. I'm in something of disbelief that the NVR5216-16P-4KS2E is still a current model NVR (mine's from 2018). While I have no real complaints with mine, it's being left with my current house and I was expecting something a bit newer for the new house... IS there a newer model?
Folks that have both have said the 5442 is the better model at night.

If all you need is a fixed lens because you want overview properties that is fine.

That is still the workhorse NVR and most recommended series.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Folks that have both have said the 5442 is the better model at night.
It is. The 5842 isn't bad and not all that far behind. But if I had to pick one overall I'd go with the 5442. Daytime performance I don't really notice all that much of a difference between 4MB and 8MB cams for practical purposes. It's not like it's twice as good as some imagine. Low-light and at the margins is where you'll see more of a difference comparing them side-by-side. But again, the 5842 isn't bad.

Last edited:

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
night IR performance... similar?
I consider that a bit of an overstatement, but the 5842's night performance is pretty darn good. 5842 is a bit better during the day, 5442 a bit better at night. Think about bit rate, too. To get the 5842's increased resolution, you have to run it at a higher bitrate. As an aside, my 5216-4ks2 is from January 2017.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Three quick questions:

The 5216 is a workhorse as mentioned, but its also EOL. Dahua makes dozen s of NVR models, there are newer ones with more AI,.... whats in your wallet?

Sunfox

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks! But also, ugh. Preferred just to get whatever the current version of the 5216 was - but it seems like they’re all 2-3X or more expensive?

I guess I’ll standardize on 5442’s around the house as I do know they work well in zero light, although I find their daytime HDR sometimes a bit weird. Still thinking of maybe a single 8M for the front driveway as it’s like 200 feet long. I’d consider the 4K-X for the dog pen, but I understand Dahua doesn’t have the auto LED? Would kind of need that.

Anyhow, I’ve been running a 2TB drive with my 5216 and I get like 20+ days of continuous full resolution recording on 9 cameras (7x 2M and 2x 4M), so I’d definitely need a much bigger drive for all 4M or especially any 8M in there.

Finally, is there any PTZ in the ~$750 range that’s a better bet than the 49425?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The 49225 represented the best overall autotracking PTZ in the sub $400 range, but the SD5A425GA-HNR represents the best overall value in the sub $1,000 range (currently around $750ish).

Keep in mind an 8MP fixed lens will look just as crappy at 200 feet as a 2MP fixed lens. And without light, at night the 2MP or 4MP 5442 would be the better choice as it can see infrared. The 4K cameras worth anything cannot see infrared, so if you don't have light for all 200 feet, it will be black beyond where you have light.