Dahua Camera Selection and Placement

Reaction score
Yet another newbie looking for advice.

Long time follower, first time poster.

I would like to install a system with Dahua Starlight cameras and a Dahua NVR.

I could use some help with camera selection and placement. I got approval from the wife to go ahead and just do it. She doen't care where they are or what they look like outside. I was leaning toward a turret, but a bullet is fine too. Being noticeable is fine since that might act as more of a deterrent.

I am trying to follow the advice on the forum of some zoomed in views at choke points for facial recognition.

Here are the camera's I was thinking about in order of priority. I will probably buy a few and setup them up before I buy all of them. I was planning on using the IPC-HDW5231RN-Z for all exterior cameras.

1. Front door/porch (Corridor mode?)- I don't know why we need so many strollers on the front porch but we have at least 3 usually. It would be nice to keep an eye on them, any packages, and grab decent image of anyones face coming to the front door. Can this be done with one camera or will I need two? The porch is 5' deep, 17' wide (we don't need to see the far end of the porch), and 8' tall.

2. Gate to backyard (Choke point) - Was thinking of a camera in the back corner under the soffit aiming toward the front of the house zoomed in on the gate. The gate is 19' from the corner of the house and the gate is 4' wide. If my math is correct at 12mm I will have 167 ppf.

3. Baby cam in 2 year old's room (Bedroom #2) . Currently still in a crib, but likely moving out in the next year. Preferably turn IR off. Maybe in the corner above the door for a wide angle view of the room if I mount it in the ceiling or I can put a cube on a bookshelf if there is a good option.

4. Baby cam in newborn's room (Bedroom #1) IPC-HDBW4231F-AS ?. Preferably turn IR off as well. Ideally a "birds eye view" so I can see into the crib without the railings getting in the way. Maybe in the corner above the crib or above the door?

5. Driveway - Not sure where for this one. Somewhere on the side of the house. 5231 turret or Z5 bullet for longer zoom?

6. Shed - Somewhere in the side back of the house zoomed in on the shed door about 35 feet away. (I think 12mm will give me 102 ppf at the shed with a 5231.) Or maybe I should get Z5 bullet to get a longer zoom range?

7. Backyard - Up high with a really wide angle overview.

8. In the mudroom ( showing anyone coming in?)

NVR - At least 16 channel since 8 might not be enough. I have a 24 port POE managed switch, but I only have a few ports empty. I might get a NVR with POE ports, but will probably just get another POE switch. Rack mountable is important, but I can put it on a shelf if need be.

I have some PIR motion detectors inside and plan on some outside. With they interfere with the camera's and cause IR flare?

I have included the interior blueprints, a bunch of pictures, and the footprint of my house on the lot based on GIS data.

Any feedback or suggestions are welcome.

Attachments