Dahua / Imou wifi camera with ONVIF motion detection

romann

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

I currently have some basic TP-Link cameras and IKEA Tradfri motion sensors connected to Home Assistant to record videos upon detecting motion. The problem with this setup is that the IKEA motion sensors cover larger area than I need them to and there's no way to limit that, so I'm looking for a solution with pixel-based motion detection / setting up activity zones in the camera. Need some advice on which Dahua / Imou cameras to try that match the following criteria:
  • Wifi-enabled camera, 5GHz is nice to have, 2.4 GHz works as well
  • IR lights can be disabled - the camera will be mounted next to a window glass
  • Can post motion detection or any other events via ONVIF or can run some shell command (like curl or wget). I do not plan to use any NVR server, so this this the most crucial requirement among the others.
  • RTSP stream is available

Any tips around this are much appreciated!

m00st

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As for motion detect, I would strongly advise you to get a Dahua cam that has SMD (distinguishing people and vehicles from anything else like moving leaves, shadows casting etc). Not sure which Imou camera's would have this capability at this time.

I am not aware of any Dahua camera capable of directly running a command or call an URL on alarm detect unfortunately. If the camera has outputs, you can trigger one of it's outputs, hook up some esp8266 or similar and let that do the magic of calling an URL.