Dahua NVR One Cable, Two IP cameras

Mrrr0809

n3wb
Reaction score
I’m just about finished with installing and fine tuning my system. Sadly, it would be extraordinarily difficult to get a second cable ran to two areas where I need two cameras, so I’m looking for suggestions on how to go about running two POE cameras to my NVR. I purchased the Dahua splitters and sadly they only seem to recognize one camera when both are plugged in. Other options I’ve found are either out of the country and don’t support US sales (Mastic in UK) or are not designed for an NVR/POE system. Thank you for your feedback.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you have enough "ports" to support the additional camera on that port? For example, if you have an 8 port NVR, but 9 cameras connected, then one isn't going to be seen in the NVR.

What is the total power being used by all your cameras and is it exceeded by adding two cameras to the same POE port or the power available to a single port?

Is there an IP address conflict on the two cameras - maybe the NVR is assigning the same IP address to each camera, so it only sees one?

You may need to only connect one camera and then manually assign it a port and IP address then connect the other.

Mrrr0809

n3wb
Reaction score
Do you have enough "ports" to support the additional camera on that port? For example, if you have an 8 port NVR, but 9 cameras connected, then one isn't going to be seen in the NVR.

What is the total power being used by all your cameras and is it exceeded by adding two cameras to the same POE port or the power available to a single port?

Is there an IP address conflict on the two cameras - maybe the NVR is assigning the same IP address to each camera, so it only sees one?

You may need to only connect one camera and then manually assign it a port and IP address then connect the other.
Thanks for the response. I currently have 11 cameras up and running on a 16 channel NVR. There should be more than enough power. I even tried it with a midspan/injector even though the run is probably 80 feet or less. I plugged each camera in individually, and they each have their own IP address. I think the bulk of the problem comes from not being able to assign the port for the IP camera. If that was an option, I would be be willing to bet it would work. From what I recall, I found a channel option, but when I changed it, it automatically reverted back to the channel it was on prior.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
The term "splitter" can be ambiguous. I'm assuming the Dahua splitter you mentioned is actually a POE-powered 2-port ethernet switch. If you were connecting to that device from a POE switch on your network instead of an NVR port, I would expect it to work. From an NVR port I'm not able to answer. Another type of splitter is a device on both ends of the connection that would combine 2 of the NVR ports onto one cable at the NVR end, them break them back into 2 cables at the camera end. For this to work, the NVR ports would need to be using only 4 of the 8 wires in the network cable, which is probably the case but I don't have your type of NVR to confirm. An example of that type of combiner/splitter is here: 1-Pair RJ45 Ethernet Cable Combiner/Splitter, PoE 2-in-1 Cat5e/6 Data Adapter | eBay
I'm using this technique on a couple of cables with good results (with a standalone POE switch). If you build your own cables you can make it yourself. On the NVR end, it sends one port straight through on the orange and green pairs, and routes the other port's orange and green pairs onto the unused blue and brown pairs in the cable to the cameras, then reverses it on the camera end to orange and green pairs for both port connections. There are 2 other types of "splitters" that look physically the same, one to inject power on the blue and brown cable pairs, and the other that's just a simple parallel breakout of one RJ45 connector to two RJ45s, so you have to be careful to get the correct device, even though they can all be called a splitter.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Mrrr0809

n3wb
Reaction score
The term "splitter" can be ambiguous. I'm assuming the Dahua splitter you mentioned is actually a POE-powered 2-port ethernet switch. If you were connecting to that device from a POE switch on your network instead of an NVR port, I would expect it to work. From an NVR port I'm not able to answer. Another type of splitter is a device on both ends of the connection that would combine 2 of the NVR ports onto one cable at the NVR end, them break them back into 2 cables at the camera end. For this to work, the NVR ports would need to be using only 4 of the 8 wires in the network cable, which is probably the case but I don't have your type of NVR to confirm. An example of that type of combiner/splitter is here: 1-Pair RJ45 Ethernet Cable Combiner/Splitter, PoE 2-in-1 Cat5e/6 Data Adapter | eBay
I'm using this technique on a couple of cables with good results (with a standalone POE switch). If you build your own cables you can make it yourself. On the NVR end, it sends one port straight through on the orange and green pairs, and routes the other port's orange and green pairs onto the unused blue and brown pairs in the cable to the cameras, then reverses it on the camera end to orange and green pairs for both port connections. There are 2 other types of "splitters" that look physically the same, one to inject power on the blue and brown cable pairs, and the other that's just a simple parallel breakout of one RJ45 connector to two RJ45s, so you have to be careful to get the correct device, even though they can all be called a splitter.
The item number for the splitter am using is PFT 1300. I had a friend over as well to try and help me sort through this. He said both cameras were “online” according to their IP addresses and accessing them from the local network, but only one was showing up on the NVR.
my NVR model is NVR5216-16P-4KS2E.
I can certainly try the items in the eBay link you attached if you think they’ll work.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Dahua doesn't call the PFT1300 a splitter, but rather an extender. I do believe it's a 2-port poe-powered switch. Ideally somebody with a built-in switch Dahua NVR can chime in with info if you can use this device they way you'd like to. One thing I can say for sure is that if it can be made to work, network-wise, you'd be powering 2 cameras from one port which could possibly exceed the power budget of the port. One of those "it depends" things. Not having the NVR with built in switch, I can't really say if the type of splitter in the ebay link would work. All I can say is my opinion is it's better than 50-50 odds. Either somebody with the actual knowledge needs to post the info, or you can be the test pilot for it.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
My understanding of NVRs is limited since I don't use them, but if that "extender" is indeed a two port switch it needs to be plugged in to the LAN port of the NVR and the cameras can then be manually assigned to the open NVR ports.

Snapper30

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
According to the description on BHPhoto, the PFT1300 has one PoE input, one PoE output to the next extender, and one IP camera port. Which would explain why only one camera works, since the second camera is plugged into the PoE output port.

"Dahua Technology PFT1300 PoE Extender"

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
According to the description on BHPhoto, the PFT1300 has one PoE input, one PoE output to the next extender, and one IP camera port. Which would explain why only one camera works, since the second camera is plugged into the PoE output port.

"Dahua Technology PFT1300 PoE Extender"
Yet many of us use that to power two cameras from one POE port... A lot of people here are using this unit when they added a LPR camera right next to their overview camera.

My neighbor has a Lorex NVR (which is Dahua OEM), and we literally put that adapter on the end where he had one camera connected and then connected the two cameras to this adapter and by the time we got back in his house, the NVR had found both cameras and were displaying properly.

I power two cameras from it just fine, albeit not thru an NVR, but it works fine for my neighbor in that configuration.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I don’t recommend powering more than 1 camera from a Dahua NVR built in PoE port, but many have done it.

see this post #3 on this thread

Sounds like the trick was
1- plug them in one at a time and manually assign a different IP to each by logging into the camera (if the port assigns 70, manually assign the first one to 80 or something similar, rinse repeat)
2- turn off ARP/Ping in the camera networking tab

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
How about splitting the cat 5 into two ports of the NVR? You would have to make the pinouts match what ever the 1st camera's pin out is but with the diffferent colored pairs. Is Dahua sending power and data on the same pairs?

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Some clown around here, recommends pulling a spare alongside the needed cabling for extremely difficult runs. " just in case." I had a Biomed guy ask me to do that in Indiana to a new Operating room. I was crawling around in strange voids between noisy equipment on a floor that didn't exist on the elevator buttons.