Dahua NVR w/ LPR capability

CastleSurveillance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi guys - I'm looking for a Dahua NVR w/ the ability to handle 2 LPR cameras. (1 enter, 1 exit) - the problem is I'm reading through all the product manuals and they dont mention anything about the LPR camera compatibility. Does anyone know what 8CH model I need?

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Dahua calls it ANPR. First off, do you want everything to be automatic, or are you ok in manually looking for the plate and looking things up? How far away will the plates be compared to the camera?

If automatic, do you want the camera to do the work or the NVR?
A Dahua ANPR camera will be something like the ITC437-PW6M-IZ-GN . Dahua NVR will be something like the NVR5216-16P-I/L. Though there are new NVR's coming out that @EMPIRETECANDY may know more about.

CastleSurveillance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Dahua calls it ANPR. First off, do you want everything to be automatic, or are you ok in manually looking for the plate and looking things up? How far away will the plates be compared to the camera?

If automatic, do you want the camera to do the work or the NVR?
A Dahua ANPR camera will be something like the ITC437-PW6M-IZ-GN . Dahua NVR will be something like the NVR5216-16P-I/L. Though there are new NVR's coming out that @EMPIRETECANDY may know more about.
I found the cameras. I just need the NVR to automatically record it.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
The newest WizSense 5000 series seems to require the camera to do the actual plate recognition/capture but can store it and such. Best check with Andy
WizSense Series

But then so does the recent EOL 5000 Pro series
NVR5216/5232-16P-4KS2E

(Note to all: Dahua currently has competing items with identical model numbers across two different series such as the 5000 series NVRs and 5442 series cameras. I would guess they are in the process of phasing out the ones we have been buying and eventually there will only be one item with a single model # again soon? I would be wary of purcahsing the now EOL 5000 series NVRs or 5442 cameras without verifying they are the newer models with different specs and enhanced AI)

Video Metadata
Metadata Performance of AI by Camera (Number of Channels)8 channels
Human AttributesTop color, top type, bottom color, bottom type, hat, bag, age, gender and umbrella
Motor Vehicle AttributesLicense plate, plate color, vehicle body, vehicle model, vehicle logo, calling, seatbelt, vehicle interior, vehicle registration location.
Non-motor Vehicle AttributesVehicle model, vehicle color, number of persons, helmet.
Vehicle License Plate Comparison
ANPR by Camera (Number of Channels)8 channels
License Plate Database Capacity1. Create up to 20,000 plate numbers.
2. Blocklist and allowlist

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
An NVR52xx-xP-I or NVR52xx-xP-4KS2E NVR's have ANPR function.

I have the '-I' model which can do processing on the NVR, which is handy to have facial recognition on a generic camera.
The '-I' mode can do basic plate recognition, but it does not append to it's database or anything. That works under 'video structuration' function which is logging people/vehicles/non-motor vehicles spotted.
You still need to buy a Dahua camera with ANPR function to use the white/black-list database function.

From my understanding, this is the modelling/naming scheme of Dahua NVR's.
1674961994480.png

This is what the ANPR function looks like on an NVR52x-I:

1674952014372.png
1674952077725.png

Last edited:

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I believe the second digit is the max number of hard drives
That is a good point.

But it does seem odd there isn't a generation number somewhere...?
I would have thought that would indicate generation.

(Note to all: Dahua currently has competing items with identical model numbers across two different series such as the 5000 series NVRs and 5442 series cameras. I would guess they are in the process of phasing out the ones we have been buying and eventually there will only be one item with a single model # again soon? I would be wary of purchasing the now EOL 5000 series NVRs or 5442 cameras without verifying they are the newer models with different specs and enhanced AI)

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yep second number is HDs.

They tend to designate series rather haphazardly with the last set of characters.

The new I series is now EI

So far the 5442 cameras have the identical number across 2 series…
Updated the image.

That is annoying how the generation and whether the NVR supports built-in AI is within the same ending numbers/letters.

1674962043713.png

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Even with the new EI series, only certain limited AI is done by the NVR. But the NVR can record and manage added AI functions by the AI capable camera.

Clear as mud?

AI by recorder: 2-channel face detection and recognition, 4-channel perimeter protection, and 8-channel SMD Plus.
AI by camera: Face detection and recognition, perimeter protection, SMD Plus, metadata, ANPR, and people counting.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
The NEW series NVR increased the badnwidth, and more support on AI. Price is more expensive, but it's good news for people who want the 4K with Face recogntion cameras.

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just looking at some of the 52xx - EI NVRs without built in poe ports they only have 1 NIC. That sux if you want the nvr between the cameras and your network.

Do you have to upgrade to a 32 or 64 channel NVR to get 1 with dual NICs?

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
We reciently installed 2 ANPR cameras at a guard shack but the NVR we used didnt have the proper hardwar fo do all the functions an anpr camera can do. We just wanted the right hand side of the display to show snapshots of the tags/cars as they passed thru the choke point. I dont know the dahua model nvr, it was an 8 channel with built in poe ports. (may not have been the pro series)My boss had tech support guy access his laptop with anydesk to help set up the anpr's and the tech said our nvr didn't have the specific hardware to do the tag snapshot display.

We installed a 64 ch. NVR at another location a while back and it has the ability to show each vehicle/tag as a snapshot on the righthand side of the TV/display.

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I went to the lake this weekend. It's a 30 lot area on the water that has a HOA and they asked about installing an anpr camera. I said it could be done. They have power and internet at the entrance but we were just drinking and talking so I'm not sure if it's anything I wan't to bid on or if they are actually serious about it.

It's why I'd like to know if there is a wisesense nvr with 2 NIC's without going with a 64ch unit. It would make the configuration easier to spread a few other cameras at different locations.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
We will release the best nvr soon with the super bandwidth and tons of smart functions.
32ch and 64CH, price is bit high, but this is industrial level NVR.

AI disabled: 1024 Mbps incoming, 1024 Mbps recording and 800 Mbps outgoing
AI enabled: 512 Mbps incoming, 512 Mbps recording and 400 Mbps outgoing

NVR608H-32-XI - Dahua Technology (dahuasecurity.com)

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I went to the lake this weekend. It's a 30 lot area on the water that has a HOA and they asked about installing an anpr camera. I said it could be done. They have power and internet at the entrance but we were just drinking and talking so I'm not sure if it's anything I wan't to bid on or if they are actually serious about it.

It's why I'd like to know if there is a wisesense nvr with 2 NIC's without going with a 64ch unit. It would make the configuration easier to spread a few other cameras at different locations.
You can look at the Dahua website to find the answers to those questions.