Dahua Relay Out - Wireless Door Sensor - Z-Wave Rule-Lights on!!!!

HoosierD

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My older Qolsys IQ2 panel took a dump after 6 years, so I updated to an IQ4 last week. I've purchased a few door/window sensors (wireless for those unaware) that have terminals for external contacts and I've setup a few around the house to be "monitor only" (i.e. side gate opens triggering z-wave lights through IQ panel, no alarm). It dawned on me that few of my cameras have relay outputs. I found this thread by @bickford and it looks like Ajax had the same approach. I have a few new sensors coming and was wondering if someone can clarify a question? My first test is going to be using my IPC-B5442E-ZE coupled to an IVS tripwire. I can't confirm from the drawings, but is the relay out a dry contact? From my interpretation, it is. It appears the circuit is rated for 12V 300mA, or is the circuit powered? Here's the manual picture.

1640841556238.png

This got me super excited and if it works I'll be up all night scheming ideas and dumping cash on more z-wave hardware. Thanks in advance for any input.

Last edited:

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
My older Qolsys IQ2 panel took a dump after 6 years, so I updated to an IQ4 last week. I've purchased a few door/window sensors (wireless for those unaware) that have terminals for external contacts and I've setup a few around the house to be "monitor only" (i.e. side gate opens triggering z-wave lights through IQ panel, no alarm). It dawned on me that few of my cameras have relay outputs. I found this thread by @bickford and it looks like Ajax had the same approach. I have a few new sensors coming and was wondering if someone can clarify a question? My first test is going to be using my IPC-B5442E-ZE coupled to an IVS tripwire. I can't confirm from the drawings, but is the relay out a dry contact? From my interpretation, it is. It appears the circuit is rated for 12V 300mA, or is the circuit powered? Here's the manual picture.

View attachment 113875

This got me super excited and if it works I'll be up all night scheming ideas and dumping cash on more z-wave hardware. Thanks in advance for any input.
Both schematic pictures show the camera is just a dry contact closure, only. The camera does not source any power for the Aux circuit. Question is: Is the relay contact in the camera SPDT or a SPST? If it is a SPST, is it NO or NC?

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score

View attachment 113875

Screen Shot 2021-12-31 at 10.54.29 AM.png

Yeah, as usual, I answered before I actually looked at the manual. :banghead: According to step 2, for circuit scenario Mode B, the output is NOT a dry relay contact within the camera. But, the camera does not source any power. If you need a dry contact signal, you could insert a small icecube or reed relay being driven by the camera output, in the circuit. Typically, that is the safest way of controlling external devices. There would be no danger of the amperage load increasing on your milliamp output and would give you the option of being able to control several devices at once off of one relay.

HoosierD

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks @Smilingreen. Much appreciated. I've got a few 12V relays about and will be pulling the cam down to validate. Like you, after some thought, I'm wondering if the output is only powered when the cam uses external power (i.e. not POE). Tinkering will tell. Space is limited to my camera j-box/mount and so far, w/o digging deep I'll need a "tiny" relay to pack all of this into the box. I may abandon and just go outdoor PIR. Much easier. Happy New Year!