Dahua Smart Dual Illuminator incorrectly always on

badboynz

n3wb
Reaction score
"bigredfish, post: 793657, member: 23645"]
What is triggering the switch, SMD or IVS?

TBH No idea if this the issue? this why i wondering if the environment could be the issue here? as the cams work perfect elsewhere,

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
My gut tells me it IS the environment, thats why I was wondering what is being used to trigger the switch SMD or IVS

....If its SMD being used on that camera, I think the answer is in post #16

My guess (and its only that) is that SMD being IMHO not really accurate, is seeing something in that scene that it thinks deserves triggering the white light. But I dont have that model so havent had a chance to play with it and find its gremlins. I know I have had issues with SMD on just about every camera I've used it on and no longer enable it as IVS does what I need.

badboynz

n3wb
Reaction score
My gut tells me it IS the environment, thats why I was wondering what is being used to trigger the switch SMD or IVS

....If its SMD being used on that camera, I think the answer is in post #16

My guess (and its only that) is that SMD being IMHO not really accurate, is seeing something in that scene that it thinks deserves triggering the white light. But I dont have that model so havent had a chance to play with it and find its gremlins. I know I have had issues with SMD on just about every camera I've used it on and no longer enable it as IVS does what I need.
Thanks I pondered on the whether to update the firmware, however I'd be hesitant in updating the firmware its not the issue?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah I'd first see if SMD is enabled.

The Web interface is much friendlier for many things...

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My gut tells me it IS the environment
dunno about anyone else but a large black blob (boat engine) in the middle of an otherwise light coloured view looks to me like a target worthy of turning the lights on.

I moved a pot plant the other day and placed it next to another pot plant and the camera covering that area gave constant alerts until i moved it back out of shot.

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yep, I have a small oscillating fan on a table that my one 5442 sometimes thinks is a human face. Wayyyy too many scene variables for the AI in these cameras to be 100% accurate at a $200 price point.

I think sometimes we expect too much from all of the technology hype. I still can’t get my NVR/cameras to react when I shout “Enhance” :idk:

badboynz

n3wb
Reaction score
can someone suggest what the issue is in the following video link? , this customer had installed 5x of these HDW2249TM-S-IL cameras and 1 camera in particular (boat camera-D1) at night was randomly switching between I/R and colour, customer says its faulty, so we replaced the camera with another new one and it randomly doing the same, however-we put this so called customers original faulty camera up on our premises and its working perfectly fine and as per the customers settings, I finding it hard to believe the customer saying its a faulty camera, when their original cam is working perfectly as it should do, so any help to his issue in the video-particularly with D1 Boat cam pic and settings?

Update: the above Video link is now taken down from here by person who put it up (publicly on youtube) after we advised him were trying to get him the help here on his issue, says enough i guess.

A and J

n3wb
Reaction score
In regards to the SMD, yes we did the same things as hpeter1994 and had the same results.

In regards to the video - it was unlisted, not public. And being that it had several vehicle number plates possibly able to be seen - not a good idea to be showing publicly thank you.

A and J

n3wb
Reaction score
How we solved the problem - we bought a new camera DH-IPC-HDW2849TM-S-IL (Old model was IPC-HDW2449TM-S-IL)
, fixed the problem straight away. Has been running for four nights now, working perfectly. Paid nearly $4000 for this system, pity we had to resolve this problem ourselves.

badboynz

n3wb
Reaction score
How we solved the problem - we bought a new camera DH-IPC-HDW2849TM-S-IL (Old model was IPC-HDW2449TM-S-IL)
, fixed the problem straight away. Has been running for four nights now, working perfectly. Paid nearly $4000 for this system, pity we had to resolve this problem ourselves.
well its good to hear the system is doing you good and is fit for purpose as its always been, :) but another one your post on here that's not quite correct at all Andrew, :-( as the HDW2849TM-S-IL was your own seperate camera which you purchased just after the July install as the only one available in NZ closest to the original cameras installed, not only were you advised on this forum to swap it over with a good one, but we advised you to swap it over just to verify the HDW2449TM-S-IL cameras weren't faulty as per your above message claims, we also advised you they not faulty as the offending boat camera is actually working well on our premises, so obviously the other offending HDW2449TM-SS-IL camera is working fine in the place of the original driveway right? so you didn't solve this yourself at all,
However the actual query here now should be, how does this 8MP camera work OK in that boat pic above, but not the 4MP?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Swapping a 4MP with an 8MP camera on roughly the same 1/2.7" sensor (the 4MP was 1/2.9" sensor) certainly leads to it being a field of view issue. That sensor is great for 2MP, but not good for night vision for 4MP or 8MP.

The 8MP camera needs double the light of the 4MP on the same size sensor, so the image is probably darker now and thus whatever was in the field of view is darker now and not triggering.

Looking at the video and picture, I suspect you were probably also running the cams on default/auto settings and that can always cause these types of issues, especially when the camera is placed in a different field of view and works fine certainly leads to a problematic field of view.